Chick Selection

I also vote for making the drive to feeders supply. I have purchased several birds from them and they have done very well.

Personal choices from me for friendly, hearty, good layers....
Black Australorp
Buff orpingtons
Speckled sussex
Delaware
Welsummer or California Whites both very different but both worth having.
Yeah most lay brown eggs. The California Whites lay white eggs and have not been as skittish as Leghorns.
If you want green or blue eggs I highly recommend stopping at Bomgaars on your trip to get Starlight green layers or Prairie Bluebells. I have 2 of each and they are all great!
They are said not to suffer the genetic issues the Easter Eggers do. I have tried repeatedly over the years to get good laying Easter eggers and always ended up with the genetic garbage pit in them.
Thank you so much for this info. I was not familiar with Bomgaars nor with the genetic issues of Easter Eggers. I appreciate you sharing this with me.

Thank you so much for this info. I was not familiar with Bomgaars nor with the genetic issues of Easter Eggers. I appreciate you sharing this with me.

You are welcome. I have found that the chickens I got from Bomgaars have all been healthy and well cared for when I got them. They do a nice job of caring for the birds.
I was there a week and a half ago and they had both starlight green layers and prairie bluebells.
They are popular so I am thinking they will have more. I am sure if you call ahead they can tell you what they have available as well as upcoming orders.

I am totally new too, but have seen really fun things about Brahma. Not incredibly productive, but I think they would tick all your other points...plus you could totally score points with the kiddos to have a chicken as big as they are. lol

You can do lots and lots of research and get close to what you think you want. You should know that each and every chicken has it's own personality. No one told my Rhode Island Red that she is supposed to be mean to the other chickens, likewise, my huge, huge rooster Harvey is the sweetest White Jersey Giant you will ever find. He (and all the rest) eat from my hand! All chickens lay eggs, they can't help it. Be sure to talk to your birds and spend time with them. Some folks wants everything automatic so they don't have to interact with them. I take the hands on approach because I think constant interaction makes the chickens more people tolerant and friendly! Good luck, you're in for some new good friends! :p

harvey the great.jpg

I have Easter Eggers. Had them for 3 years. No problems, no issues (except one some years is broody) so I don't know what "genetic issues" are meant. Unless you are breeding and hatching I see no reason not to have these great girls. I said before each chicken is different. My Speckled Sussex Sadie is a great girl. She follows me like a puppy and is a joy but she doesn't lay. I don't know why, but she doesn't. She gives me joy so I keep her anyway. I have production reds also without any trouble. They are sweet, get along with everyone else in the flock as well. You can make all the generalities you want, but all chickens are different!

Sadie Thompson.jpg

I have Easter Eggers. Had them for 3 years. No problems, no issues (except one some years is broody) so I don't know what "genetic issues" are meant. Unless you are breeding and hatching I see no reason not to have these great girls. I said before each chicken is different. My Speckled Sussex Sadie is a great girl. She follows me like a puppy and is a joy but she doesn't lay. I don't know why, but she doesn't. She gives me joy so I keep her anyway. I have production reds also without any trouble. They are sweet, get along with everyone else in the flock as well. You can make all the generalities you want, but all chickens are different!

View attachment 2049320

The genetic issues I have had with EE's in my flock have been
1. Egg shell gland not functioning correctly ie: very thin or no shells with 5 different birds from 2 different hatcheries not all raised the same year.
2. Crossbeak in 3 out of the 10 EE's I have had.
3. Split wing in an EE that also had crossbeak. This poor girl laid only double yolked eggs and died at 8 months to egg binding. Figures she was one that was actually able to make a shell.

Other than that I liked their personality and feather differences.

You are welcome. I have found that the chickens I got from Bomgaars have all been healthy and well cared for when I got them. They do a nice job of caring for the birds.
I was there a week and a half ago and they had both starlight green layers and prairie bluebells.
They are popular so I am thinking they will have more. I am sure if you call ahead they can tell you what they have available as well as upcoming orders.
I see there are multiple Bomgaars stores in CO. Is there a particular one you frequent/like/recommend or are any okay?

Back
Top Bottom