Chick sick, but can't find out what's wrong...

mouaorientalroost

In the Brooder
8 Years
Nov 16, 2011
California
They been pretty fine since i rescue them from their mother since 11/08/11. Growing big now, one of them is looking pretty sick to me. I observe them for a quite a while and the sick one seems to be eating, but a bit later on, i catch the sick looking one and feel its crop and its empty, when i observe it, it seems to be eating a lot but after that when i touch the baby chick's crop, it doesn't have anything in there. But the other one that isn't sick has a pretty fill crop. At first i thought maybe it's not much of a eater, but as time went by, the sick looking baby chick kept hurdling, sleeps a lot, but still plays around acting normal, but it doesn't have anything in his/her crop. I mean at first i thought it was nothing, but now it seems to be getting worse as its starting to get weaker. In the beginning when i was quite worried it wasn't eating much, i put some Poultry Nutri-Drench drops into their water and watch them drink it, but it doesn't seem to do anything, its appetite isn't getting any better, then couple days later, i check the sick chick again and it got quite skinny from the touch of it's thigh, so i fed the sick baby chick little drops of tylan 50 in through its mouth, but that doesn't seem to have work at all. I think i'm all out of ideas, i mean i don't think it's worm, is it? I'm so confuse and helpless that i can't seem to help the baby chick at all. They are 8 weeks old now, if you have any suggestions, please do tell, i don't know what to do anymore, seems like i'm just waiting for the baby chick to fade away, well here's a picture of the two baby chick, the one on the right is the sick one.

DSCN7237.jpg

Last edited:
So sorry your little one is not doing well.
sad.png
There's a term loosely used - "failure to thrive." I'm not even sure what it means other than many have chicks who just seem weaker and not as able, and who don't grow and fill out like most chicks do.
I think worms or other parasites definitely could bring a chick down. Have you checked them over really well for mites or lice??? If the little one is clean, then you might try a mild wormer, just in case. At this point, I'd almost worry about the wormer being too harsh...but on the other hand, if it's fading anyhow, it couldn't hurt, you know??? Maybe try Wazine???

Last edited:
thanks for the reply! yeah i'm deeply sadden that, that term does seem to be the only one right now that makes sense, i had check them for mites and lice, they don't have it, but i will try a mild wormer, it does sound like my last option, again thanks for the reply and suggesting something for me.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom