Chick sick or extra sleepy?

loriamarosa

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 2, 2011
I have 6 chicks, 2 that are 2 weeks old and 4 rhode island reds that are 8 or so days old (I have had them since last Friday). While all the other chicks eat and drink, I have noticed in the last hour or so that one of the rhode island reds sleeps and has not eaten or drunk any water. Is he sick? I have been giving them all yogurt in their water, and they are on medicated chick feed. Anything else I can do to encourage him to eat or drink? Or does he really need to just sleep?

I had a few like that out of my last hatch and they ended up dying. I tried everything to save them but they stayed very lethargic. Good luck. It sounds like you are doing all you can but sometimes it just isn't meant to be. That is what I have to tell myself anyway!

I just moved the sick (or sleepy) chick to her own box (with one more chick so the first one wouldn't be distressed). She has now pecked a little at food--and pooped. But the poop was strange, just like white snot. Anymore ideas?

So I gave the chick water (whey) in a dropper many times before I went to bed, and then a few more times (11 PM and 1 AM) in the night. At 2 AM, the baby was dead--in his water bowl of all things. Thanks for the advice about the dropper--and that the chick maybe wouldn't make it, too...it was almost like a failure to thrive...what causes this in chicks? Anybody know?

Back
Top Bottom