Chick Singing Egg Song

PNWSilkieChick

Chirping
Sep 20, 2020
My Silkies are 14 weeks old--too young to lay eggs. I was surprised last week when one of the biggest chicks, which I have always thought could be a boy, sang the Egg Song. Is this indicitive of a pullet, or do boys practice the E.S. as well?

At the time of The Song, everyone was chilling out together in their enclosure and I was watching them; there were no predators, no sudden movements, no gusts of wind. No one else has sung The Song. Several flockmates have begun crowing since last week, though.

20200901_183652.jpg

The egg song is basically the same as their alarm call, and both sexes do that. You might not have seen what set them off, but it doesn't take much, sometimes. A leaf falling could do it.

Without seeing the comb of the bird in the picture, it's tough to say its sex, but it does look more like a pullet.

The egg song is basically the same as their alarm call, and both sexes do that. You might not have seen what set them off, but it doesn't take much, sometimes. A leaf falling could do it.

Without seeing the comb of the bird in the picture, it's tough to say its sex, but it does look more like a pullet.
A leaf LOL :). Moby is really fluffy and it's been hard to get a good face/beak pic with the feathers pushed BACK. I'll keep watching, and will stay hopeful that this one is a pullet. Time will tell.

A leaf LOL :). Moby is really fluffy and it's been hard to get a good face/beak pic with the feathers pushed BACK. I'll keep watching, and will stay hopeful that this one is a pullet. Time will tell.
I'd bet on pullet but you're definitely right, only time will tell. I have a roo that looked SO MUCH like a hen that I denied that he was a boy until I personally heard him crow, which was a while... he only seemed to want to do it when I wasn't home 😂(LOVE the name btw, I've got a Moby too! You can never go wrong with names from classical literature right?)

Back
Top Bottom