Chick sneezing and labored breathing

Madeline90

Chirping
Apr 26, 2017
My Americana chick has had labored breathing for two days with sneezing. It gets so bad that I’m sure she is going to die soon, but somehow she keeps pulling out of it. I’ve never seen a chick fight this hard.
She’s eating and drinking and still running around. I’ve changed bedding, been doing VetRX, been giving electrolytes and probiotics in water, and medicated feed.

Is there anything more I can do? Do I need to find antibiotics? She’s my favorite chick so I want to do all that I can. TIA.

My Americana chick has had labored breathing for two days with sneezing. It gets so bad that I’m sure she is going to die soon, but somehow she keeps pulling out of it. I’ve never seen a chick fight this hard.
She’s eating and drinking and still running around. I’ve changed bedding, been doing VetRX, been giving electrolytes and probiotics in water, and medicated feed.

Is there anything more I can do? Do I need to find antibiotics? She’s my favorite chick so I want to do all that I can. TIA.

I'm sorry to hear about your chick.
A video of her may help.
How old is she?
Does she have any mucous coming from the nostrils, wheezing or runny eyes?
Does she have labored breathing all the time or it is during/after she eats/drinks?

Check to make sure she is not overheating, that your brooder has enough ventilation and that there isn't any mold. Look at her nostrils to see if they aren't clogged up.

Respiratory illnesses like Infectious Bronchitis and Mycoplasma are also common. Antibiotics like Tylan50 will help with secondary infections, so if she does not improve you may want to try that.

I had a chick that I swore was on death's door. Her breathing was so labored she sounded like she was snoring at all times; you could hear this tiny creature's breathing from across the room. I did treat with Tylan and there was obvious improvement within 24-48 hours. I came home from work to check on her, honestly expecting her to be dead, and she had escaped her hospital box and was strutting around the laundry room, clearly significantly better. Good luck! Don't give up and hopefully your chick won't give up either!

I'm sorry to hear about your chick.
A video of her may help.
How old is she?
Does she have any mucous coming from the nostrils, wheezing or runny eyes?
Does she have labored breathing all the time or it is during/after she eats/drinks?

Check to make sure she is not overheating, that your brooder has enough ventilation and that there isn't any mold. Look at her nostrils to see if they aren't clogged up.

Respiratory illnesses like Infectious Bronchitis and Mycoplasma are also common. Antibiotics like Tylan50 will help with secondary infections, so if she does not improve you may want to try that.

Ugh it won’t let me upload videos of her breathing and sneezing. I’m going to keep trying. For now, I got amoxicillin and have given her one dose.

She is breathing so much easier today! I am feeling hopeful. Here she is napping on me after getting her medicine. We’ve been handling her so much that I think she’s starting to prefer being held!

Attachments

• B19734F2-EF7C-43F2-A7F9-CB040DF02549.jpeg
    B19734F2-EF7C-43F2-A7F9-CB040DF02549.jpeg
    337 KB · Views: 12

Back
Top Bottom