Chick sneezing?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cici_p, Apr 16, 2009.

1. cici_p

cici_p Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Took my chicks out to play with them today, and noticed that one of them was sneezing occasionally.
    All of them are acting healthy, eating and drinking, playing and sleeping.
    No other symptoms of ill health.
    Breathing sounds normal, although when some of them nestle right up against my neck I can hear soft clicking when they breathe--but that has been the case ever since they hatched, so I think it must be normal?
    This little one is 3-4 days old now.
    Should I be concerned about this?
    I am not currently feeding medicated starter feed--don't really like feeding unnecessary meds.
    My brooder is a large wooden box with open top, temp between 85-100 (the chicks tend to hang out in the 90-95 degree area, I have never seen them at the cooler end.)
    I don't have any dust in the box, as I am using a fleece blanket for bedding.
    I only have 8 silkie chicks, so it is not at all crowded.
    I do live in a dry climate
    Help?
    Thanks!

2. cici_p

cici_p Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Anybody?
    I am still hearing some of them sneeze--can't tell if this is normal clearing out their nostrils or something I should worry about. I remember our ducks used to do a similar thing just to clear out their noses--but I don't know if this is normal for chicks.

3. mrsgibber

mrsgibber Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    Bolton, CT
    my chicks sneezed all the time and still do once in awhile. They too acted completely normal and healthy with no raspy breathing or discharge. It is just environmental.

I would just keep an eye on them to make sure you don't see other symptoms but they are probably fine just like mine. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by