1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick starter 18% or 21% protein Difference?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by vjbakke, Apr 11, 2012.

1. vjbakke

vjbakke Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    I was unable to get the organic starter crumble with our last Azure order. So I had to go with the mana pro non medicated starter. I noticed that the organic one says 21% protein, and the mana pro is only 18%. I still am gong to try to get a bag of the organic from Azure with this months order. Just wondering if it makes a huge difference with the protein %? We have 4 EE chicks. Last year we used the mana pro starter, before we were ordering from Azure. Now our laying hens get organic soy free layer pellets. And trust me they do know the difference between the one with soy in it and the one that doesn't! I bought a bag by mistake that has soy in it and they haven't even finished it yet. With the soy free they were eating about a bag a month now it's been a month and a half and it's just a little under half gone. I didn't think they would even notice.

2. ChickenJerk

ChickenJerk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2012
    Maybe the feed with soy in it is more nutritionally balanced and the birds do not NEED to eat as much.

3. vjbakke

vjbakke Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    They both have the same amount of protein and other nutritional profile. We avoid the soy because I feel it is getting very hard to have true pure 100% non GMO soy in this country. Also I have had health issues in the past related to soy. But this is going off subject. I can tell when they don't like their feed, they beg non stop for treats. They did the same thing when we went from mash to pellets. I had to stop all snacks to get them to eat it. I also noticed a drop in their egg production.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by