Chick starter 24 %

wyofam

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 12, 2016
WYOMING
I am new to raising chickens and didn't do enough reading before buying feed. I bought some chick starter from tractor supply with 24 % protein. My chickens that just arrived on Friday are being raised as egg layers (4 Rhode Island Reds, 2 Easter Eggers, 3 Black Sex Links, 3 Buff Orpingtons,3 Barred Plymouth Rocks). While reading posts today I found that 24% protein is for turkeys and game birds. I just bought a 50 lb bag and am wondering if I can continue to feed this to my baby chickens or if I should change it to a starter feed with less protein. Hate to waste a 50 lb bag of feed if i don't need to but If it is harmful to the baby chicks I will definitely switch.

Tractor supply should take back the bag and refund your money. You have to bring in the bag and your receipt and ask. Game bird starter will make the chicks very ill. I would not feed it to them even when older. If you were talking about chicken chicks when you bought the bag there and you were handed a bag of game bird feed, it is not your fault you have the wrong stuff. Even still, any TS I have been to has been more than helpful.

It wasn't tractor supplies fault...... it was due to my ignorance. I just saw a bag of dumor chick starter and bought it without asking questions and now I have fed it to the chicks for a few days. They were nice enough to give me a heat lamp and bulb for free that they used on their baby chicks since they didn't have any in stock so I guess I can go buy another bag and still come out ahead. Thanks for the help

I would use it. Many of us use an all flock feed anyway and most of those have protein in the 20-22% range.

Thanks for the help. Hopefully I will get this chicken stuff figured out. It has been a learning experience so far!!

I am new to raising chickens and didn't do enough reading before buying feed. I bought some chick starter from tractor supply with 24 % protein. My chickens that just arrived on Friday are being raised as egg layers (4 Rhode Island Reds, 2 Easter Eggers, 3 Black Sex Links, 3 Buff Orpingtons,3 Barred Plymouth Rocks). While reading posts today I found that 24% protein is for turkeys and game birds. I just bought a 50 lb bag and am wondering if I can continue to feed this to my baby chickens or if I should change it to a starter feed with less protein. Hate to waste a 50 lb bag of feed if i don't need to but If it is harmful to the baby chicks I will definitely switch.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Some people feed the higher protein levels for the first week of their chicks' lives or one bag before switching over and some people use one kind of feed for several type of poultry. (That said I certainly wouldn't give chicks laying formula but that is a whole different story.) If you are worried about it, get chick starter and mix. Your babies should be fine.

The issue with the game bird starter is the protein. If you are going to use it, mix it with the proper chick starter. The high protein will make the chicks grow faster. Sometimes faster than their bodies are meant to. It also boosts their energy level which can lead to aggression if there is no outlet for it. Depending how many you have you will probably go through more than one bag of it anyway and just get the normal chick starter. By then they should be eating the crumble and not the mash.

If you look on the back of the bag, there is a chart showing which feed to use. They will end up eating that anyway in a few weeks. You could give it to them right from the start, or go get a small bag of starter/grower for $6 to feed them first and once they are out of that switch to the big bag you bought.

Last edited:
I like a higher protein chick starter because I mix two parts of it with one part Quaker quick oats. That brings the protein down but adds fiber and a real food quality. I also feed some hardboiled egg the first couple of weeks for animal protein. And I mix in or offer some chick grit.

Back
Top Bottom