Chick Starter - How long to feed?

GMRChick

Hatching
11 Years
Sep 28, 2008
My family and I are new to chickens. We started out with two about 2 months ago (one was lost to a predator) and have just gotten a new chick. The first two started out on some sort of feed that was made up of small pieces. We've run out of that and I ended up getting something that looks more like ground corn meal. I assume this is chick starter and will be ok for our newest addition, but can I feed it to a 2 month old? My husband already dumped it into our feed storage so I can't take it back. More generally, what are the different types of feed? When do you switch from one to the other?
Thanks for helping out this newbie!

You need to make sure you're actually feeding medicated feed to the chicks from my understanding, and I don't think that's something you can assume from the general consistency of the feed...can you look at the package to tell?

I'm bumping this so someone who knows better than me can answer this...

I have 6 week old chicks - 3, but I also have 5 - one year old hens. I have been giving the starter to all because I was told that the reg chicken feed with oyster shells for calcium cannot be feed to the chicks. So now my laying hens egg laying has come down quite a bit.
How do I do both feeds without harming either group. We only have one chicken coup and I am very new at chickens.
Any suggestions

You give them all starter then put a container of oyster shell to the side. The layers will eat the oyster shell and get the calcium they need, and the chicks won't touch it.

Back
Top Bottom