chick starter question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Kimberly4403, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Kimberly4403

Kimberly4403 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2015
    What are the main/essential things to look for when selecting a non medicated chick starter feed? And is a crumble or mash better?
    Im a bit overwhelmed with the different brands here in Australia however I know i deffinately want GMO free.. Can anyone make any brand suggestions? I really liked Country heritage but cant source if locally and its too costly to have shipped so need an alternative

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Let It Snow Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I'm sorry I can't help as I don't know brands in Australia. I prefer a crumble, as mash is just powder. Mash works well if moistened but you have to be careful it doesn't mold. Crumble they can pick up and eat easy enough. The best you can do is pick one, probably one that is more popular so that it's fresh, sometimes certain brands aren't bought often and the feed can get old and the vitamin content can diminish. I choose my brand because it is convenient to get, I kept buying my brand because my birds like it and it smells really good.

3. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    I perfer crumbles over mash as it is easier to feed. I would stick with and brand you see is moving good so it is fresh. Check with your local feed store. They will probably recommend their brand. Buy a couple of small bags and see which one you like the best.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by