Chick Starter Recipe Please

sammie12345

Songster
Jul 6, 2020
Florida
That sounds like an awesome plan. :thumbsup

Maybe dad can make the run alone as long as he understands which food you need.
so because have extra layer pellets he wants me to feed that to them but I told him why but he says its food for chickens and the chicks are chickens but he said he will take me not today but Friday to get whatever food I need for them so at least he's willing to take me there, when we go there he looks at the wrong food he thinks its the one with a picture of an egg on it lol

Last edited:

sammie12345

Songster
Jul 6, 2020
Florida
i just got done feeding the chicks, i made a rice and oatmeal mixture and they got 1 tablespoon of that and 1 tablespoon of eggs and pinch of shredded cabbage and grit mixed in there. I have unsweetened apple sauce should I give them a little bit of that?
edit: their poop changed from clear and runny to brown and runny

Last edited:

21hens-incharge

Nuttier than a squirrels stash
Premium Feather Member
Mar 9, 2014
Northern Colorado
so because have extra layer pellets he wants me to feed that to them but I told him why but he says its food for chickens and the chicks are chickens but he said he will take me not today but Friday to get whatever food I need for them so at least he's willing to take me there, when we go there he looks at the wrong food he thinks its the one with a picture of an egg on it lol
Honest to goodness I would be giving them the layer feed. A few days of that is WAY less harmful that trying to mix up human foods to try and balance it.

Straight up it is just 3-4 days of layer feed.....it will not hurt them one bit.

aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium Feather Member
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
Honest to goodness I would be giving them the layer feed. A few days of that is WAY less harmful that trying to mix up human foods to try and balance it.

Straight up it is just 3-4 days of layer feed.....it will not hurt them one bit.
Ditto Dat!!
That and some eggs will keep them until Friday.

sammie12345

Songster
Jul 6, 2020
Florida

bobbi-j

Crossing the Road
Mar 15, 2010
On the MN prairie.
Just til you get chick starter Friday.......
Wasn't saying from here on out was saying these next few days til you get the right feed.
Right! A few days won’t hurt them, but you don’t want them on it permanently too soon. Another option to think about would be an all flock grower. Non medicated that the layers and chicks can all eat. That way you’re not having to buy two different kinds of feed. You can get oyster shell for the layers if needed.

sammie12345

Songster
Jul 6, 2020
Florida
Just til you get chick starter Friday.......
Wasn't saying from here on out was saying these next few days til you get the right feed.
Right! A few days won’t hurt them, but you don’t want them on it permanently too soon. Another option to think about would be an all flock grower. Non medicated that the layers and chicks can all eat. That way you’re not having to buy two different kinds of feed. You can get oyster shell for the layers if needed.
oh I'm sorry I worded it like like I meant they would be eating that till Friday, once I have the chick starter that's what they will be eating and it will stay there until I lock them up at night

sammie12345

Songster
Jul 6, 2020
Florida
also, do I get medicated feed or non medicated I'm not sure if they were vaccinated or not? if I do end up buying the medicated feed what happens if they lay an egg while being on that food would the egg be edible?

Top Bottom