Chick Starter? What Else? Please help!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mattdog1995, Sep 13, 2010.

1. mattdog1995

mattdog1995 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2010
    Elizabeth City, NC
    When should i stop feeding them chick starter? And when i do what should i start to give them? Do they need grit? Any feedback is appreciated! Thanks! [​IMG]

2. LauraG

LauraG Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Upstate, NY
    You can read the manufacturerer's suggestion right on the feed bag.

My chicks were on organic starter until they were around 7 weeks old, then they graduate to a "grower" pellet. Then to a layer feed at around 17-20 weeks of age.

But the feeding guidelines should be right on the feed if you look...
    Good luck!

P.S.- I did my little ones chick grit, they seemed to really want it at times. Now they have regular grit available to them if they want/need it--

Blessings,
    Laura

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  3. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Hi!

There are quite a few answers to this question, and some of them depend on what is available in your area. Some stores/brands offer a "grower" feed that you feed after about 8 weeks or so. Others offer a starter/grower all in one that is meant to be fed up until point of lay. If you are raising several generations together - or several different breeds of birds - you might consider a more general product such as Flock Raiser, which is what i use for all chickens at all ages.

If you have a flock of laying hens, you will want to switch to layer pellets around twenty weeks, or when the first ones start laying eggs. (Unless you're doing the flock raiser thing like i am.)

The grit question has a lot to do with their environment. I don't give my chickens grit, but they pick up lots of rocks from the yard, and they free range, so they have lots of opportunity. If you have any question about whether your chickens are getting enough grit, then you should offer them grit, separately from the feed, so they can get it if they want it.

I hope that helps!

4. thaokou21

thaokou21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Arkansas
    chick starter, crack corn or grounded corn, then whole corn from that on.... thats how I do it.

5. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Quote:Corn is not a very complete diet for a laying bird. They're much better off with layer feed or flockraiser depending on how mixed your flock is.

6. birdicus7

birdicus7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2010
    Coatesville, PA
    Most recommend chick starter until 8-10 weeks of age. Then switch to grower, the presumption is to go from about 20% protein as chicks to a grower in the 16% range. The reasoning is to slow down the growth of the internal organs and assure a slow thorough growth. Then around 20 weeks you switch to a layer type feed. You'll have to check the manufacturers label as to whether you need to supplement with oyster shell. As for grit, the rule is if you feed treats or anything except starter you need grit, either give it to them free choice or allow them to get it on their own while free ranging....Hope this helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by