Chick Starter? What Else? Please help!

mattdog1995

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 1, 2010
Elizabeth City, NC
When should i stop feeding them chick starter? And when i do what should i start to give them? Do they need grit? Any feedback is appreciated! Thanks!
jumpy.gif

You can read the manufacturerer's suggestion right on the feed bag.

My chicks were on organic starter until they were around 7 weeks old, then they graduate to a "grower" pellet. Then to a layer feed at around 17-20 weeks of age.

But the feeding guidelines should be right on the feed if you look...
Good luck!

P.S.- I did my little ones chick grit, they seemed to really want it at times. Now they have regular grit available to them if they want/need it--

Blessings,
Laura

Last edited:
Hi!

There are quite a few answers to this question, and some of them depend on what is available in your area. Some stores/brands offer a "grower" feed that you feed after about 8 weeks or so. Others offer a starter/grower all in one that is meant to be fed up until point of lay. If you are raising several generations together - or several different breeds of birds - you might consider a more general product such as Flock Raiser, which is what i use for all chickens at all ages.

If you have a flock of laying hens, you will want to switch to layer pellets around twenty weeks, or when the first ones start laying eggs. (Unless you're doing the flock raiser thing like i am.)

The grit question has a lot to do with their environment. I don't give my chickens grit, but they pick up lots of rocks from the yard, and they free range, so they have lots of opportunity. If you have any question about whether your chickens are getting enough grit, then you should offer them grit, separately from the feed, so they can get it if they want it.

I hope that helps!

Quote:
Corn is not a very complete diet for a laying bird. They're much better off with layer feed or flockraiser depending on how mixed your flock is.

Most recommend chick starter until 8-10 weeks of age. Then switch to grower, the presumption is to go from about 20% protein as chicks to a grower in the 16% range. The reasoning is to slow down the growth of the internal organs and assure a slow thorough growth. Then around 20 weeks you switch to a layer type feed. You'll have to check the manufacturers label as to whether you need to supplement with oyster shell. As for grit, the rule is if you feed treats or anything except starter you need grit, either give it to them free choice or allow them to get it on their own while free ranging....Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom