Chick stuck in egg

ataylor995

In the Brooder
Dec 20, 2015
My chick pipped 2 days ago, I decided to back off and let nature do what it was supposed to and see what would happen. Well, today he still made no progress, so I decided it was time to intervene. When I started to help, the membranes were not bleeding and he smelt kinda foul. After I continued to help, I could see that his membranes were stuck to him, so I got a cup of warm water and dunked his body in to losen up the dry membranes(not his head or beak). Needless to say, he had absorbed all of the yolk, so I knew that I was fine, but now that he is out, he will not straighten out, he chooses to stay in the shape that he was in inside the egg. Whenever I was getting him out, everything seemed normal on his body except the fact that he would not straighten out his neck, I do not know if it is broken bent down or what? I'm a newbie at all of this, so I can use some advice. I do want to give him a chance, but I am considering culling him if his condition does not change.

This is what he looks like currently. He is breathing very fast and occasionally will chirp. It's been hours since he's hatched, but hasn't "fluffed up" any, he still looks like he just came out. I don't know if you can tell by this picture about his neck, but it's the best I can do.

Did he live?

This is what he looks like currently. He is breathing very fast and occasionally will chirp. It's been hours since he's hatched, but hasn't "fluffed up" any, he still looks like he just came out. I don't know if you can tell by this picture about his neck, but it's the best I can do.

Did he live?

Last edited:
No he didn't, he died in my hands and we had him a little burial. I didn't have high hopes for the little one, but I wasn't going to give up on him

My chick pipped 2 days ago, I decided to back off and let nature do what it was supposed to and see what would happen. Well, today he still made no progress, so I decided it was time to intervene. When I started to help, the membranes were not bleeding and he smelt kinda foul. After I continued to help, I could see that his membranes were stuck to him, so I got a cup of warm water and dunked his body in to losen up the dry membranes(not his head or beak). Needless to say, he had absorbed all of the yolk, so I knew that I was fine, but now that he is out, he will not straighten out, he chooses to stay in the shape that he was in inside the egg. Whenever I was getting him out, everything seemed normal on his body except the fact that he would not straighten out his neck, I do not know if it is broken bent down or what? I'm a newbie at all of this, so I can use some advice. I do want to give him a chance, but I am considering culling him if his condition does not change.

Hello this is Sabrina, I'm wondering why my chick is hatching and their is thick blood and the baby is still alive and chirping. What happened??

Back
Top Bottom