Chick that keeps throwing up - need help!

lil crickett

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 15, 2011
A few days ago one of our Faverolle Bantam chicks (almost a week old) had a huge piece of chick starter stuck in his throat. I managed to get it down but he almost died. Then he had a small lump in his crawl - we let it drink plenty of water hoping it would dissolve the piece. He would eat then want plenty of water or at other times only want water alone. I knew the food was going through him because you could see where he used the bathroom. Then I started noticing that his chest looked bigger - unnatural. It was way bigger then other chicks and now everytime you press his belly just the tiny bit he throws up water. Even if you havent touched him he throws up. He ate a decent amount yesterday but today he hasn't ate anything - all he wants is water. He throws up all the time and I don't know what to do - except limit water maybe??? I have a picture of him compared to another chick that hatched around same time. I don't know how to get the picture from my computer to this post - can anyone help me?

maybe some oil not much but try to drop in the mouth. Massage the nect and area where the pea size lump is. Does the vomit stink and is it sour smelling? Maybe even warm water and massage. Good luck!
Quote:

Its vomit smells like the electrolyte water we give the chicks and I have tried giving it warm water but it wants to go overboard on it all the time. I know that when it does eat it will only take like four drinks afterwards but when it doesn't want to eat it just keeps drinking and drinking and I have to pull it away.

Thanks
smile.png

Last edited:
One of my 5 week olds is doing the same thing (a white rock). Just one finger ANYWHERE NEAR her puffed chest makes her vomit. Not sure what to do???

Back
Top Bottom