1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick Transportation Help!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Peachesbabychick, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Peachesbabychick

Peachesbabychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello!

I am getting 6 rare breed chicks in early jan and I am getting a bit concerned about transporting them. They will be about 2-3 weeks when I get them. And it is probably a 3-4 hr drive. Is this way to far for these babies to go when they are so little? I am also worried about them going from heat, then out of heat (on the drive) then back into heat when they get to my house.

What should I do? Wait till they are older? I want to do whatever I can to make sure they will be ok.

1 more thing, this breeder is hatching these specially for me, and I don't want to upset her by asking to get them a bit older, for the second time.

Help!

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    They will be fine. Take a box or small dog crate along, with some straw in the bottom of it, and keep it in the car with you. (Not in the back of a truck.) Everything will be OK. You could put some food and water in the crate too, if you want.

3. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Chillin' With My Peeps

They will be fine... At that age they will have some feathering so can tolerate changes in temperature. Unlike humans 2- 3 week old chickens are halfway to being on their own! They will be fine!

4. Peachesbabychick

Thankyou! That is a huge relief. Oh no they will not be in the back of the truck! They will be in a box on my lap! Would it be a good idea to have them under the heat in the car?

Thanks again!

5. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Be very careful that the car heater is not blowing directly on them. You can kill them easily with over-heating. Ditto, do not have them where the sun is shining directly on the box.

On your lap is fine. If it is really cold, ask the seller if she will allow you to microwave a rice sock just before you leave. If she will , then that can be wrapped in a towel and placed in with the birds. As it loses it's heat, you remove layers of towel. Or a 2 litter soda bottle filled with hot water.

If you have the interior of the car comfortable for the humans, the chicks should be just fine. If they start crying, it is probably from over-heating.

At that age, I'd take them some sort of fruit with moisture for that length of drive. Maybe apple slices. Or even a bit of damp mash to offer about 1/2 way through the drive.

I suspect the chicks will travel well and grow up very well loved.

6. Peachesbabychick

Thank you so much! Is there a specific temp we should keep it in the car? Ok, so put a piece of friut, ( strawberry, pear) heating pad, straw in box, don't have them in direct heat or sunlight, have food available and water at rest stops........I think I got it all!

1 more question: Is bumping around a problem? Sometimes it can get a little bumpy.....

Thankyou again SO much! Oh and I will offer some sugar water as soon as we get home. Yes they will be loved to pieces.

7. Peachesbabychick

Oh I just realized you live in Central Or! Me 2! The chicks will be traveling from Sandy to Prineville.

8. gavinandallison

gavinandallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Matthews, NC.
    you can also use one of those handwarmers they sell in Walmart in winter wrapped in a towel for them......

9. birdnbeast

birdnbeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    I have severe Post-a-phobia (social media anxiety) and this is my first post here(BYC). If I don't pass out first!

Good luck with your chicks.

Just use a standard smallish card board box. Put in a layer of shavings and they will stay clean better than with straw or hay. Get a few of the hand warmers from Freddies, or Walmart, Bimart, etc and a set of really cheap light-weight cotton men's work gloves (maybe a $1 or 2). On really young chicks you usually just put the warmers (after activating chemical heat =:~) in around and under the shavings as they don't dig around much. I put the warmer in the cheap thin glove and put it in with the chicks so they will not pick on the package and the glove is so easy to wash out if it gets too much poop on it. The chicks will lay on or around the glove as needed.

Right now with our high winds and power fluctuations, I put one in with the tiny chicks brooding in the kitchen just before I go to bed. Two hatches ago, my heat lamp (I use smaller 100/150 reds) went out and it was too cold for too long and I lost a couple of chicks. I am not used to loosing any chicks once successfully and self-hatched! (If you have to 'help" always be prepared to either loose half or have to put down for weakness and defects - there is usually a reason an otherwise normal incubation doesn't self-hatch.)

Anyway, I concur with the advise against trying to warm them too much with car heater, etc. They cannot then regulate for their needs and comfort. The heat pack may not be "needed" but it will make Mommy feel better -- That is important, too!

k/

10. bellanonna

bellanonna Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2012
    Prineville, Oregon
    Where in Central Oregon are you? I am in Prineville, and I was cruising the site to find others near me to talk to if something is not going well with the chickens. When last I had chickens, it was in the valley. The weather is much different here and I am newer to the area. I have lots to learn about what to watch for and prepare against.

thanks

Colleen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by