Chick turning rooster - that makes two

RenoHuskerDu

Songster
Aug 8, 2018
Central Texas
Howdy, I'm looking for advice on having two roosters in a flock of 23 layers free ranging on a fenced acre, cooped up at night in a large coop.

We raised our first batch of babies in January, the old-fashioned way. Previously we'd just buy young layers and discourage broody hens. This time we let our Marants brood away. Of 9 eggs, we had 7 hatch and 6 survive. Mama did a great job, very dedicated and protective all thru their first two months.

Now they're 3+ months old and have formed their own clique, free ranging all day on 1 fenced acre with the other 17 generally separated into two additional flocks. The flocks only come together at night or to feed on pellets in the coop. The 6 youngsters flock together exclusively, and sleep in one area.

Recently, the biggest one is starting to crow. Another is big so I suspect it may be a rooster, but it's not crowing yet. Is having two roosters a bad thing in that they will fight and injure each other? Should we fire up the stove for the young rooster, or ride this situation out and see how it works?

Thanks

Howdy, I'm looking for advice on having two roosters in a flock of 23 layers free ranging on a fenced acre, cooped up at night in a large coop.

We raised our first batch of babies in January, the old-fashioned way. Previously we'd just buy young layers and discourage broody hens. This time we let our Marants brood away. Of 9 eggs, we had 7 hatch and 6 survive. Mama did a great job, very dedicated and protective all thru their first two months.

Now they're 3+ months old and have formed their own clique, free ranging all day on 1 fenced acre with the other 17 generally separated into two additional flocks. The flocks only come together at night or to feed on pellets in the coop. The 6 youngsters flock together exclusively, and sleep in one area.

Recently, the biggest one is starting to crow. Another is big so I suspect it may be a rooster, but it's not crowing yet. Is having two roosters a bad thing in that they will fight and injure each other? Should we fire up the stove for the young rooster, or ride this situation out and see how it works?

Thanks
Do you have a senior rooster who fathered the 6 chicks?
No, you don't have to remove the second cockerel. There will be one dominant and one submissive. The girls will choose who they like best once they mature. The hens will ride herd on those boys and teach them some manners before they will submit to them for breeding.
I have a senior rooster and an unrelated junior rooster. Junior grew up with the adult flock and learned to respect the senior. He always steers clear of him. And he has plenty of space to do that so they've never fought.
Your setup is conducive to having two males run the flock. Lots of space and ladies and a large coop.

Yep, he's about 3 years old now. I keep hearing stories about roosters dropping dead around this age because of eating high-calcium layer food. So having a second on hand is like belt and suspenders.

Thanks for the information.
Why not change their diet over to an All Flock diet with oyster shell on the side and let your roosters live a full life?

Why not change their diet over to an All Flock diet with oyster shell on the side and let your roosters live a full life?
I use the think the same thing but not so much anymore. There are some manufacturers that list their high calcium feed as rooster approved. For one one Nutrena feather fixer. Kalmbach feeds is another. In confinement with layer feed only ok maybe it could be an issue. Now with a free range flock I believe that is not really an issue anymore. Just my current views on it.🤔

We supplement with crushed egg shells. The first rooster has been seen helping himself a couple of times, but it's rare.

Glad to hear he's not doomed to an early death. He performs his duties diligently all day long. We purchase M-G or Bryant layer pellets from local feed stores, rather than patronizing a big faceless national chain.

Welp, a second chick is starting to crow now. That makes two, and both are markedly bigger than their siblings.

So back to my question, but this time it concerns TWO cockerels. Will that be a problem? Should we fire up the barby for one of them?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom