Chick unable to stay on feet..

jennylynn86

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 17, 2013
I posted in the chick raising board but I thought I would post here since I did not get many responses on the other board..

I have a week old Silkie bantum chick who can't seem to stay on its feet, she stumbles when trying to walk. She tends to get flipped over and struggles to get on her feet but will stay on her back just looking pitiful like she is in pain. she keeps shaking her head and like scratching at her self. She was eating yesterday but I have not seen her eat today. what should I do? someone suggested infant vitamins but how do I give it to her, she is unable to stand long enough to get to her water.. I am soo worried about her, she is my Fluff N Stuff.. I never had a chick act like this. anywho, any advice would be greatful. I have also not seen her poop either.. I don't know if she is dehydrated or what??

this is my sweet girl, Fluff N Stuff. I am seriously crying casue I just want her to feel better. My birds are not for eggs or meat, they are my feathered babes.

To give vitamins and electrolytes, which i definitely would if she isn't drinking, you can place them in the water and dip her beak in gently. You are essentially helping her over to the water. she should tip her head back and drink then. You may need to put this electrolyte mix in her food, as well, to make it easier to digest. As far as the legs go, it's hard to tell in the pic, but are they splayed at all? What kind of bedding is she on? There are some things that can be corrected, but sometimes there are chicks born who just aren't going to make it. I hope this isn't the case for you. Just try to ease her through, but check her for spraddle leg, which has a relatively easy fix.

the pic is before she got sick, her legs seem to be fine, just like the other two silkies.. she is able to graps my fingers when I hold her.. She is one wood shavings that I got from the feed store. They said it was the best bedding for the chicks. My other 4 birds seem to be perfectly fine. She seems to be getting weaker and weaker.. I got teh vitamins and looked up how to administer it for her.. I really hope it helps..

the pic is before she got sick, her legs seem to be fine, just like the other two silkies.. she is able to graps my fingers when I hold her.. She is one wood shavings that I got from the feed store. They said it was the best bedding for the chicks. My other 4 birds seem to be perfectly fine. She seems to be getting weaker and weaker.. I got teh vitamins and looked up how to administer it for her.. I really hope it helps..
I hope so too. Just do your best to nurse her along, but don't beat yourself up if it goes badly.

The bedding is right on.

Did she show any symptoms right after hatch or did this begin later?how old is it? I ask because I recently had some problems which sound the same.I did a lot of research before I found the answer. And there are a few possible causes.some of which can be remedied and some can not.hopefully yours can.maybe as simple as vitamin e,or another vitamin defficentcy.sorry can't spell any more!

Did she show any symptoms right after hatch or did this begin later?how old is it? I ask because I recently had some problems which sound the same.I did a lot of research before I found the answer. And there are a few possible causes.some of which can be remedied and some can not.hopefully yours can.maybe as simple as vitamin e,or another vitamin defficentcy.sorry can't spell any more!
I got her as a 3 day old chick from Southern states, She was fine, she kept up with the others, ate, drank good, would eat out of my hand and let me hold her. She is the tame one out of the 5.. I had her for 5 days before this started. I think she is a week and a few days old. yesterday, she was fine in the morning for morning care but did not check on them till later since my son was sick all day yesterday.. I went in and she was on her back and at first I thought she died but then started to thrash tring to get up. I gave some infant vitamins today, would have started it yesterday but with my son vomiting, could not leave the house, thanksfully he is fine now but my lil Fluff N Stuff is not.

I hope so too. Just do your best to nurse her along, but don't beat yourself up if it goes badly.

The bedding is right on.
Thanks, I just feel so bad for her.. I almost did not grab her from the feed store since I had gotten the buff and partridge silkie but as I was looking at the birds, I spotted her and she just seemed to fit.. I had to have her and I was glad since she has a great lil personality for such a young chickie.. I can't help thinking I did something wrong though my other chicks seem to be thriving..

The bedding is right on.
Thanks, I just feel so bad for her.. I almost did not grab her from the feed store since I had gotten the buff and partridge silkie but as I was looking at the birds, I spotted her and she just seemed to fit.. I had to have her and I was glad since she has a great lil personality for such a young chickie.. I can't help thinking I did something wrong though my other chicks seem to be thriving..

Back
Top Bottom