Chick update and a couple questions!

cp2894_

Songster
May 17, 2022
Indiana
Hi everyone! My chicks are around 4 weeks old and getting bigger everyday! I have a couple questions and concerns. First, one of my buff orpingtons had a grey spot on her head when I got her. I thought nothing of it but it's turned into a big pink bald spot on her head. Is this something to be concerned about? Second, I noticed one or more of them have really runny poop. Is this normal? I haven't noticed which one/ones it belongs to. I have two pictures. One that looks normal(?) for reference. I give them unmedicated starter crumble, occasionally some dry mealworms and fly larva, and chick grit. Water is just plain filtered water. Last of all, is it too early to determine their gender? I'm starting to worry my sapphire gem, Edith, may be a cockerel. All the others I'm fairly sure are pullets but I'm pretty clueless. I attached pictures of each of them but I can't tell the two orpingtons apart in the pictures lol. Besides the one of Margie who's in the bald spot close up picture. This was there first time getting to run around outside. I was too paranoid about something happening to them outside before now. So far Hattie is the friendliest and bravest, Margie is a little skittish, Martha is pretty neutral but loves to sit on top of their waterer, Franny is a little skittish but getting better, and Edith puts up the most fight when she has to be picked up. She runs around the crate flapping her wings lol.
1654895562526.png
1654895611787.png
1654895648276.png
1654895683673.png
1654895712968.png
1654895762130.png
1654895793448.png
1654895827596.png

The bald spot doesn't look infected. Have you noticed any swelling or anything that would cause alarm? It's possible that the feather follicles got damaged and she might have a permanent bald spot.
Edith is Cockrell.
Those 2 pics of poop are normal. Even that runny one :)

Hi! Thanks for sharing cute and helpful photos of your flock!

-The runny poop looks to be normal cecal poop to me. If you Google photos of cecal poop I think you'll find they are a good match. If everyone is acting healthy, they are probably doing well! Keep an eye out for symptoms of coccidiosis, it is very common in chicks who are being transitioned to being outdoors.
-It's a bit early to be for sure on sex. Everyone except Edith definitely looks to be a pullet. Edith's comb is large but still quite yellow (rather than pink or red) which is making me think she still could be a pullet. Hopefully others will weigh in.
-I'm not sure why your Orpington has a bald spot, but the skin doesn't look irritated or picked at, so if it were mine I don't think I would worry too much. Chicks' heads are one of the last parts to feather out fully, but hopefully she will grow feathers in that spot eventually. Hopefully someone else has some ideas and will reply.

The bald spot doesn't look infected. Have you noticed any swelling or anything that would cause alarm? It's possible that the feather follicles got damaged and she might have a permanent bald spot.
Edith is Cockrell.
Those 2 pics of poop are normal. Even that runny one :)

Nope, no swelling. Just a weird grey spot that turned into the bald spot. It's at least helpful to tell them apart lol. That's disappointing about Edith:hmm It's a good thing I got 5 chicks instead of 4. I had the fear that one would turn out to be a cockerel and then we'd have too small of a flock with only 3. Do you think there's any chance she could still be a pullet and her comb is just growing faster than the others? it's still a yellow color and not red or pink yet.

Nope, no swelling. Just a weird grey spot that turned into the bald spot. It's at least helpful to tell them apart lol. That's disappointing about Edith:hmm It's a good thing I got 5 chicks instead of 4. I had the fear that one would turn out to be a cockerel and then we'd have too small of a flock with only 3. Do you think there's any chance she could still be a pullet and her comb is just growing faster than the others? it's still a yellow color and not red or pink yet.
It's possible..You'll know for sure in about 6-8 more weeks. You'll here a crow. Usually roosters combs and waddled grow much faster rate then hens.

Hi! Thanks for sharing cute and helpful photos of your flock!

-The runny poop looks to be normal cecal poop to me. If you Google photos of cecal poop I think you'll find they are a good match. If everyone is acting healthy, they are probably doing well! Keep an eye out for symptoms of coccidiosis, it is very common in chicks who are being transitioned to being outdoors.
-It's a bit early to be for sure on sex. Everyone except Edith definitely looks to be a pullet. Edith's comb is large but still quite yellow (rather than pink or red) which is making me think she still could be a pullet. Hopefully others will weigh in.
-I'm not sure why your Orpington has a bald spot, but the skin doesn't look irritated or picked at, so if it were mine I don't think I would worry too much. Chicks' heads are one of the last parts to feather out fully, but hopefully she will grow feathers in that spot eventually. Hopefully someone else has some ideas and will reply.
Thank you so much! That makes me feel better about the poop. I've been so worried about them getting sick. Hopefully Margie will grow some feathers. I haven't seen anyone pecking at her so she must've just been born with it I guess. If she doesn't grow feathers there, do you think it'll affect her in the winter? Do you think she'll be more prone to frostbite?

It's possible..You'll know for sure in about 6-8 more weeks. You'll here a crow. Usually roosters combs and waddled grow much faster rate then hens.
Ohh ok I didn't know their combs and waddles grow faster. I'll give it some more time. If she is a he, do you have any advice on what I should do? There's no way I could butcher her and I can't keep a roo.

Back
Top Bottom