Chick walking on one hock

lasersmomma1411

In the Brooder
Nov 6, 2020
2 day old baby chick- walking regularly with one foot and the other, it won’t put weight on. It’s walking on the hock. It’s already starting to get swollen and red. This was my chick that was breech in the egg and I had to help out. It was very lively and pretty much flailed out of the egg. It looked completely normal until last night when I noticed it’s foot wasn’t planting and it was on its elbow of one leg. I’ve wrapped the joint, just trying to keep it from being rubbed raw. Is there anything that can be done? I tried making it a chick sling but it plopped itself out. Would wrapping its leg straight help? This was our first time hatching and it was so stressful, I’m probably not ever going to do it again. Any suggestions?

I'm sorry your hatch was so stressful! I'm sure you learned a lot that would help next time go more smoothly though.

Wrapping it sounds like a great idea for right now. Does its foot look normal or curled up?

It’s not curled. More just like maybe a little swollen looking? It’s not as defined as the other foot, like maybe puffy and soft. I’m wondering if it didn’t break its foot or something trying to get out of shell. When it “walks” it kind of turns out just a bit. I’ve tried feeling for a tendon, but it was too swollen on the hock and sore for me to tell. Wrapping has reduced swelling and redness so at least there’s that. Still no effort to put pressure on foot.

It’s not curled. More just like maybe a little swollen looking? It’s not as defined as the other foot, like maybe puffy and soft. I’m wondering if it didn’t break its foot or something trying to get out of shell. When it “walks” it kind of turns out just a bit. I’ve tried feeling for a tendon, but it was too swollen on the hock and sore for me to tell. Wrapping has reduced swelling and redness so at least there’s that. Still no effort to put pressure on foot.
I’ve also started the chicken vitamins in the water. With riboflavin. I boiled it some eggs and tried to get it to eat the yolk but it was not interested. Just now over 72 hours since hatch, not sure if I should be worried about not a lot of eating yet.

The foot sounds maybe underdeveloped. Not being able to make it out of the egg on it's own could indicate that. Bumping this for more knowledgeable people.

As far as food intake, can you compare it to the other chicks? I wouldnt worry unless this one is eating substantially less than the others or seeming lethargic.

The only other one that made it is running around like crazy. It was born the day after. It’s not eating yet either but pecking at it and everything else. The injured chick does seem a bit lethargic. Sleeps a lot. It will drink when I offer water. Not sure what to do. It chirps when it moves around, not sure if it’s because it’s in pain or just more work than it ought to be.

Some pics

Attachments

• 124FDDBE-7743-41BB-ADC5-F6758099F70F.jpeg
    124FDDBE-7743-41BB-ADC5-F6758099F70F.jpeg
    372.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 937A1C6E-D105-47A3-99BB-E70E2EF42088.jpeg
    937A1C6E-D105-47A3-99BB-E70E2EF42088.jpeg
    370.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 57CDB261-FB31-479D-AE80-CACA6A585883.jpeg
    57CDB261-FB31-479D-AE80-CACA6A585883.jpeg
    372.5 KB · Views: 7
Another with the bandaid over the hock. It looks splayed right now, but it’s almost like the toes are not functional. I’ve tried a boot, but it keeps coming off. It has started to put a little weight on the foot, but over half the time, the foot is sideways. I think maybe the hock area might be broken. Can this heal?

Attachments

• DBC68A90-715B-46EC-BE0B-37A7F572802B.jpeg
    DBC68A90-715B-46EC-BE0B-37A7F572802B.jpeg
    389.3 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom