Chick waterer - for "newbies"

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BayCityBabe, May 28, 2008.

1. BayCityBabe

BayCityBabe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    This is a no brainer for experienced chicken parents. I am posting it for "newbies."
    I had to seperate my 2.5 week old Turken from the rest of my "flock" (all same age). We scrambled to get a divider for the brooder. Had a problem with creating a waterer just for her. I know lots of folks do the marbles in the the dish thing. We tried: She just pooped in the water. This was a big issue for me, since I have to stand in the main brooder and bend over a baby gate to set her water on the floor. (Ouch, my back. I guess I need to sign up for yoga!)
    ANYWAY, I knew I needed something similar to a Mason jar waterer, that I could fill once a day. DD helped me create one out of a kiddie cup. You know, the kind they give you at family restaurants: durable plastic with a lid. We cut slots in the lip of the cup, filled it with water; popped on the lid; and inverted it onto a dish that has a one inch lip. Voila! Done.
    DD said that if we's known this worked so great initially, we could have saved $3 on the Mason jar waterer & made one out of a Big Gulp. I think she's dreaming of Slurpies...

2. Jayers

Jayers Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2008
    NE Illinois
    This post hits the spot, my chick is outgrowing it's parakeet feeder.
    Can you post a picture?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by