Chick went missing

Jun 20, 2020
So today our hen hatched another chick but it completely went missing, like in the morning there was some leftovers egg that was completely wiped clean in the inside and no sign of any baby chicks 🥺 no chirping or anything and we searched the whole place in case it's stuck somewhere nothing found and we didn't hear the sound of either a crow or a hawk so no predator (our roosters make a really loud sound when they see one) 🥺😟 can an egg be normally empty ? Or did one of the hens broke it or harmed the chick? She is hatching her eggs next to the other hens (six and two roosters) I have a feeling one of them killed or ate the chick?? It's not found anywhere at all

Photo of the egg? Photo of your setup?
Is it possible the egg was never viable and she just ate an infertile egg?
It does sound more like a chick hatched.
Check for blood on the hen & beaks of all the others.

I never let my hens hatch around other birds, except the cockerels.
Try lifting up the hen, completely, but watch there isn't any eggs or chicks under her wings before you pick her up.
Hopefully you can find him safely.

Try lifting up the hen, completely, but watch there isn't any eggs or chicks under her wings before you pick her up.

We cleaned the egg crust but it was just a clean shell, 😟 will the blood be visible now? It was like four hours away when it happened probably 🥺 we don't have the coop ready yet but she was hatching and with lockdown and all we couldn't get it ready in time so we had no choice but to leave her hatch then take the chicks afterwards to raise but like we were waiting for all of them to hatch and stuff 😟 but I thought that since she seems really friendly with the other hens they won't harm her chicks?? 😟 Sorry it's my first time and I did some research but I thought the hen will get it figured and such 😟😟

We cleaned the egg crust but it was just a clean shell, 😟 will the blood be visible now? It was like four hours away when it happened probably 🥺 we don't have the coop ready yet but she was hatching and with lockdown and all we couldn't get it ready in time so we had no choice but to leave her hatch then take the chicks afterwards to raise but like we were waiting for all of them to hatch and stuff 😟 but I thought that since she seems really friendly with the other hens they won't harm her chicks?? 😟 Sorry it's my first time and I did some research but I thought the hen will get it figured and such 😟😟

The egg didn't have blood on it it was really clean.

Also won't the hen be able to tell if the egg is alive or not? Like she shouldn't sit on it if it's not alive right? But yeah I'm sure all the eggs she has were fertile

The hens will continue sitting on infertile or dead eggs.

Did it have egg yolk on it, around it, or in it? Check around for yolk. It sounds more like a chick did hatch, but it's worth checking.
If you can get a photo of the egg, that would be good.

Some people hatch right in the coop with all the others, not saying you did anything wrong there, but I personally don't risk it.
But I only let my lower pecking order hens hatch. So she would have been bullied out of it anyway.

Did you lift up the hen?
Any egg shell?
Are there any other eggs or chicks under her, btw?

The hens will continue sitting on infertile or dead eggs.

Did it have egg yolk on it, around it, or in it? Check around for yolk. It sounds more like a chick did hatch, but it's worth checking.
If you can get a photo of the egg, that would be good.

Some people hatch right in the coop with all the others, not saying you did anything wrong there, but I personally don't risk it.
But I only let my lower pecking order hens hatch. So she would have been bullied out of it anyway.

Did you lift up the hen?
Any egg shell?
Are there any other eggs or chicks under her, btw?

I don't have a picture for the egg threw it away 😟 but it was clean like really clean just egg shells left, she hatched two other chicks but we took them away because idk she actually hit one of the other chicks there are like some peck scars on her head but they aren't deep and not harming him or bleeding or anything but they really look like peck marks 😟 but we took them away from her and raising them ourselves, because one of them also have some infection so it was a better choice to take them because I really don't trust any hen now since I have no idea on how to figure out the culprit. 😟 I threw her some food and she went for it and I looked under at her nest and no chicks under her 😟 nothing at all, no chirping no signs of movement 😟

That's the marks on the chick

Attachments

• IMG20200803112320.jpg
    IMG20200803112320.jpg
    392 KB · Views: 6
It's kinda hard to help without actually being there.
Check for any places it could have fallen.
Remember if it hasn't long hatched it won't be making much noise, or be able to get far.

Glad you got two chicks.
It's definitely possible the other hens could have attacked it.

Back
Top Bottom