Chick wheezing don't know what to do

Animallover903

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 15, 2009
Hi I just got two baby chicks about a month ago and I don't know exactly how old they are but I have kept them together and one of them has started wheezing. And just tonight she has started just randomly opening her mouth wide but not making a sound like she is choking on something. Is this a problem? She otherwise is acting fine her eyes look good, there is no blood in her poop, she is eating and drinking normally, and is being active. Could it be just simply something irritating her senses? Or is it some disease?

You can purchase a product from TSC called Duramycin. Mix it 1/2 tsp to a quart of fresh water. Use this as the only water source in the chicks' waterer. Give it to both chicks for for seven to ten days.
Within two days your chick will stop gaping and weezing.

sounds like a respiratory illness..

what all are you feeding?
what bedding are you using?
how are you keeping them?
what temp are you keeping them at?

describe the droppings...color and consistency.

can you check the crop?

Well they are fairly young (I’m guessing around 5 weeks) and it has been really stormy here for about a week so they have been kept inside the whole time in a little makeshift coop

I am feeding them Nature Wise’s Chick Starter/Grower Medicated.

The bedding is a mix between shredded newspaper and paper towels they have two little shoe size boxes that they can perch on or go in…I’m keeping them at about a 75 degree temp.

The droppings look very normal grey coiled with urates on top and then the occasional running brown one…

I don’t know what the crop is.

The one that is wheezing I noticed sneezed a lot but I thought that was just normal and then this week they have been inside and just these last couple of days I noticed the wheezing when I would pick her up. I picked her up this morning and I couldn’t hear it near as well as I did yesterday I had to put my ear down near her to hear it and it wasn’t belabored it was just an occasional wheeze…could it be because I cleaned their pin yesterday?

I am really new at the whole chicken thing so any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom