Chick who overeats/overdrinks. What could be the cause?

akitafriendakita

In the Brooder
Jul 12, 2023
I have a chick (7 days old) that constantly overeats and overdrinks compared to the others, he will fill his crop uncomfortably full and get weak/sick. Yesterday he got pretty bad and got to a point where his wings were drooping and he just slept all day. I decided to withhold food and water for the day and force him to sleep without it, he seems better now and his poop seems less watery.

I am curious how I can prevent him from overeating/overdrinking or which might be the cause (or could it be all of them?)

1. Fed a little egg yolk early on because he seemed weaker than others - stopped this because I heard too much protein can make them drink too much which he already has a problem with.
  2. Maybe heat stress, I switched him to a brooder plate now because it seems to help him sleep better and he seems more comfortable with contact heat instead of a light.
  3. Staying awake too much maybe, when he had the light on him, he was up all the time instead of just purely sleeping for hours.
  4. Possibly some kind of blockage, he has always had poop trouble since I got him and his crop is always overfilled. Lots of massages seems to clear it, should I offer grit and see if that stops it?
  5. Maybe just a habit of his? He has always been like this since I first took him home. He used to just fall asleep in the feeder eating constantly. If he has his eyes open/he feels okay, he'll take a bite of whatever he can get and he's an aggressive eater.
I finally got him to drain his crop yesterday after a lot of crop massages and keeping him asleep, he seems better today and can hold his wings up normally again. He's still weak though so I'm curious what habits I should take to get him back in shape.

Last edited:
In case there's something up with its crop, and I do this anyway for all of mine as it helps with stress and pasty butt...give them probiotic/electrolyte water. We use Hydro-Hen and used to have Save A Chick. There are several that go in their water. I give it to mine their 2nd day, then vitamin water the next, then bottled water the next, then back to the probiotics.

It seems in all of my batches of chicks, there is always one that fills up so full they can barely walk. I've never done anything about it as the next day it's a different one.

Since it's always this same one and its making itself sick, I'd try raise it separate for a day or two and see if it outgrows this.

Sometimes meat birds do the over eating thing and barely want to move. Is she/he a dual purpose or a meat bird. I've not had dual purpose over eat like the meat birds. But meat birds have been known to eat like that. I actually heard a story where one couldn't carry its own weight on its legs. They are made to process pretty young.

Sometimes meat birds do the over eating thing and barely want to move. Is she/he a dual purpose or a meat bird. I've not had dual purpose over eat like the meat birds. But meat birds have been known to eat like that. I actually heard a story where one couldn't carry its own weight on its legs. They are made to process pretty young.
It's a silkie, I've learned that he's just kinda lazy and loves to lay around and eat. He's perfectly healthy now and growing normally. He's a little more active now too and runs and flaps, just less than the other chicks. Would rather lay around/eat.

Back
Top Bottom