chick with a broken leg? How does it take to heal?

totallytang

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 8, 2011
nj
1) What type of bird , age and weight. 5wk, normal weight, Silkie
2) What is the behavior, exactly. Unable to take a step using its one leg without falling, but can stand on it sometimes.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? One week
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? no
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. no
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. They made a chicken pile one night… (I try to keep them from doing this by moving them off one another and by keeping them warm enough at night with lights)
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Water, chicken food, today I brought it some grass…
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. normal
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? She is in a glass aquarium with a light and a smaller chick for company
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Don’t know…
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use: pine chips from TSC

Okay so a week ago I had a 5wk silkie chick break or at the very least hurt its leg bad. It can’t walk on it, but it can stand on it. There doesn’t not seem to be any improvements… she is in a glass aquarium with a light and a smaller chick for company. She is eating and drinking fine. I really do not want to put her down if she can get better? Does anyone know how long a break takes to heal? I have never had a chick break anything before.

I will only put her down if she cannot get better and when she’s ready. I know the chick is most likely in pain but, I have been very sick and the doctors didn’t say “oh well it’s going to hurt real bad and take a long time for her to get better and there’s no concrete proof she can so let’s not bother…” no they fought to help me. And I won’t give up an animal that has not given up on its self... this chick hasn’t yet… it is still eating and trying to stand and greet me when I go down to see it. If she can get better i want to give her that chance.

If there is a fracture I would immobilize it. A piece of tape or a bandaid inside out or a little vet wrap may be all it needs. You don't want two broken bones moving while they heal.

I THINK the healing time will be about 4 weeks but don't quote me!

Back
Top Bottom