1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chick with a broken leg?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by laurennicole01, Mar 4, 2016.

1. laurennicole01

laurennicole01 New Egg

Mar 4, 2016
    [​IMG]
    This is my three week old chick with what looks like a broken leg to me. I'm new to raising chicks and I don't know what injuries are able to be fixed with home remedies. I bought her like this so I don't know what happened. The knee is extremely swollen and the foot is turned on its side.I have tried a couple different styles of wraps in an attempt to straighten the leg but the truth is I don't know what I'm doing. I hand feed and water her and we've grown close and I really don't want to lose her. From the picture, does it look hopeless? Or is there anything I can do?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    There are several leg bone deformities that affect chicks such as tibial dyschondroplasia, varus valgus disorder, and slipped tendon. Most are not successfully treated, but I would give her poultry vitamins, and try splinting her leg. The swollen knee can be typical in this chicks, and can crack easily. Try searching Poultry Pedia Podiatry, a good site for leg problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by