Chick with a mysterious leg injury, help please!

Kdreamer

In the Brooder
Jun 9, 2019
IMG_20190913_113124.jpg
IMG_20190913_112928.jpg
IMG_20190913_112850.jpg
I woke up this morning and saw my sweet 5 week old chick limping, barely walking really in the brood. She was doing fine last night when I checked them before going to bed. She seems to be fine otherwise, just can't put any weight on her one leg, she can stand fine on the other one. She had the same behavior a few days after we got her as a baby chick but It went away after a few days. She is a Prairie Bluebell Eggers (mix of araucana and leghorn) so she's very active and flighty it could be that she hurt her leg in the brood at night, but I'm still worried. Ever had any experience with this? If yes, what can I do to help her, I don't want her to die. I separated her from my other 3 chicks of the same age. I was afraid they would be mean to her or step on her causing her more damage than good. Guys, please help, I love these babies and it hurts me to see them not doing well. Thank you!

Last edited:
I would start some B complex vitamins 1/4 tablet daily, or a chick vitamin that has riboflavin (note that NutriDrench does not,) in case of a vitamin deficiency. She may have sprained her foot, and it may take some time to heal. A small wrap with strips of vet wrap or tape might be a good support, but do not get it too tight, and check it often to make sure that circulation if normal. Popsicle sticks can be padded and used for splinting if a broken bone is suspected. Here are some pictures of splints or supports:

Attachments

• upload_2019-9-13_12-6-43.jpeg
    upload_2019-9-13_12-6-43.jpeg
    157.4 KB · Views: 5
I would start some B complex vitamins 1/4 tablet daily, or a chick vitamin that has riboflavin (note that NutriDrench does not,) in case of a vitamin deficiency. She may have sprained her foot, and it may take some time to heal. A small wrap with strips of vet wrap or tape might be a good support, but do not get it too tight, and check it often to make sure that circulation if normal. Popsicle sticks can be padded and used for splinting if a broken bone is suspected. Here are some pictures of splints or supports:

Thank you SO much!! Will try this asap.

Back
Top Bottom