Chick with an injured beak! Need advice!

Cheyen

Songster
6 Years
Sep 21, 2013
Richmond, VA
Only my second day on BYC, and I'm already using the emergency section... oh well.
hu.gif

I recently hatched a batch of sizzles, and they're now about three weeks old. I was cleaning out their brooder and decided they would be safe enough sharing a cage with my dwarf rabbit temporarily... big mistake. I heard crying, but thought nothing of since they're still just babies. I came back to find the rabbit had chewed on one of the chick's beak! It's chewed up in two different spots, but it's pretty bad right near the point. If the rabbit had gotten any farther, the tip would have been cut right off! I've been reading up and saw in a blog that someone's chicken had a broken beak that they super-glued back into place. (http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/01/repairing-chickens-broken-beak.html) I applied some pain killing/antibiotic ointment to the little fella's beak, but what else can I do to help him? Should I try the super glue, even though he's so little? Will his beak heal on its own without me doing anything? Is he safe to go back in the brooder with his friends. Should I change his diet to suit his injury, or is he okay eating his usual chick starter? I will post some pictures soon!

EDIT
Picture!

Here's a picture of the little guy! As you can see (kind of.. I don't have the best camera) there's one deep cut going through his little beak. It's hanging on there, but just barely. When I apply ointment, the very tip wiggle just slightly. The rabbit also got one of his toes, but that's not as concerning to me. Other than his beak causing some slight pain, he is drinking pretty normally. I haven't tried feeding him yet. He's active and chirps his little head off. Also, I promise I don't keep the babies outside! The lighting in my home is just awful!

Last edited:
Pain killing antibiotic ointment can have toxic consequences in chickens - try to clean it off the chick's beak. If the chick is able to eat and drink, it will probably be fine. If the bill is split, gluing is probably a good idea.

Pain killing antibiotic ointment can have toxic consequences in chickens - try to clean it off the chick's beak. If the chick is able to eat and drink, it will probably be fine. If the bill is split, gluing is probably a good idea.

Oh dear, I had no idea! I'll stop with the ointment. Is there anything safe for chickens I can apply to help keep the wound clean? It was bitten down to the quick of the beak, so I want to make sure no infection gets in there. Thanks for the advice!

I didn't know about the problem with the pain killer until I read it on this site. Any antibiotic ointment without pain killer should be fine.

Oh dear, I had no idea! I'll stop with the ointment. Is there anything safe for chickens I can apply to help keep the wound clean? It was bitten down to the quick of the beak, so I want to make sure no infection gets in there. Thanks for the advice!

You can put antibiotic ointment on, as long as it doesn't have any ingredients ending in "caine/cain" (I believe that ingredients with "caine" are painkillers, but am not sure--all I know is that antibiotic without them is usually safe).

I didn't know about the problem with the pain killer until I read it on this site. Any antibiotic ointment without pain killer should be fine.

Thanks! I think I have some plain neosporin or something like that around here somewhere! Can I ask what sort of food he should eat until his beak grows back to normal? Like maybe baby food or some other soft stuff? Will I need to keep the exposed quick moist, or is it okay to just leave it be? Thanks for your advice so far, Sourland!

You can put antibiotic ointment on, as long as it doesn't have any ingredients ending in "caine/cain" (I believe that ingredients with "caine" are painkillers, but am not sure--all I know is that antibiotic without them is usually safe).

Thanks! That should narrow down the process of finding something safe!

I just checked the label of the ointment I've been using. The active ingredients include Bacitracin, Neomycin, and Polymyxin, but nothing that ends in "caine". Is it okay to keep using this? Or should I go ahead and make a quick trip to the drug store?

I just checked the label of the ointment I've been using. The active ingredients include Bacitracin, Neomycin, and Polymyxin, but nothing that ends in "caine". Is it okay to keep using this? Or should I go ahead and make a quick trip to the drug store?

Hmmm, I don't know. I think that it would be best just to get something else, just in case.

UPDATE:
I went out and got some plain antibiotics, but he still isn't eating, and now he's drinking less. I've offered some different types of baby food, soft fruits like bananas, and some wet chick mash. He's getting lethargic and cheeps constantly. I will have to start force feeding him sugar water, and hope for the best. Any advice?

Back
Top Bottom