Chick with bloddy poo

myfivehens

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 7, 2013
Should I be concerned!? The one thing I read that could cause bloody stool is coccidiosis...are there any specific symptoms I should watch for other than the bloody poo? I think I know which chick it is because one had a little blood on it's butt fuzz (don't know what else to call it :p). I'm worried about my little girls! They're only about 5 weeks old...oh, and they are on medicated feed.

yes be concerned

give them a cocci med right away

they will die other wise

other symptoms are fluffed feathers

crouching down

not interested in anything

and sitting in one corner

treat all birds exposed and wash out coop with anti cocci soap wash

the medicated feed btw are they vaccinated for cocci

if they are then you just overdosed them that why they got it

get them off the medicated feed right away

Last edited:
Yes, the feed store that I bought them from said they were vaccinated and they highly reccomended the medicated feed. I really did not want to give them the medicated feed but as a first time chicken owner I went with their recomendations. Thank you so much for your advice, I will be heading out in the morning to get medication and new feed! I hope my little chickies survive this!! My girls have gotten so attached to them :/

im in uk so im not sure of the name of meds in USA

here it is coxoid

I think TSC should have some

Cocci is a intestinal virus so in the meantime try some probiotic Yoghurt and Garlic water to try clean the intestines until you get to the store tmoz

Last edited:
oh last thing

don't waste the medicated chick crumb

if and I hope they do survive

the crumbs are ok to feed them when they get to 6 ish weeks as then its classed as topping them up and is safe

Well, we lost one of them overnight :( I didn't think she was going to make it but I was hopeful...she didn't look good when I went to bed. Just waiting on the local businesses to open so I can get some medication for the rest of them.

Well, we lost one of them overnight :( I didn't think she was going to make it but I was hopeful...she didn't look good when I went to bed. Just waiting on the local businesses to open so I can get some medication for the rest of them.
very sorry to hear of your loss

hopefully the rest will be ok

just a friendly bit of advice

I don't live in usa but I have come to learn that sometimes staff don't know squat

its always best to get your self educated as much as possible from as many sources as possible, collate that information to get the best information as possible

Last edited:
Thank you :( I've definitely learned the hard that you can't go by what the feed store people say (even if they do have experiance with chickens).
I'm happy to say though that the rest of my girls seem to be doing just fine and there is no longer any blood in their stool :) Thanks for all your help!

Thank you :( I've definitely learned the hard that you can't go by what the feed store people say (even if they do have experiance with chickens).
I'm happy to say though that the rest of my girls seem to be doing just fine and there is no longer any blood in their stool :) Thanks for all your help!

your welcome and good luck

Back
Top Bottom