chick with bloody head

babychickens321

Songster
Oct 17, 2021
London England
Hello everyone
Today my is my baby chicks hatch day and so far only one has hatched. I am not sure if it hatched with a bloody head or what but the first time we saw it, it had a bloody head. Its whole head seemed raw and one eye was like popping out. The other eye was shut. It was lying down and wasn't alive as far as I could tell but was still floppy (when I saw it) . I thought chickens were supposed to go stiff after death? Anyway it didn't seem alive so I took it away. Has my broody hen been eating the baby? She had a bloodied beak and her feathers in front of her crop were all bloody as well. When I took the dead chick out to see what she would do, she pecked it. But, when I found the dead baby, it was under her. We've also hatched out other babies from under her and she didn't show signs of aggression at all. She is by far the most docile.

Dead things don't stiffen for awhile, it's hard to say, it could be the broody did something or maybe it had something wrong with it, especially with one eye popping out. Sorry about that

Screenshot 2022-09-16 at 18.59.39.png

that's the picture. Theres some flappy meat or something on her beak, which is why I think she ate it. But I cant imagine her even discipline pecking the chicks! maybe a light tap but it seems she's eaten the chick's whole head off!

actually im going to change that. she does sometimes peck the baby but not a lot. just in case people were more biased in thinking she didn't harm it because she never pecks anything

Back
Top Bottom