Chick with cross beak *pics*

Quote:
I haven't read this yet - will in a minute. I've gotten two cross-beaked chicks from Ideal this Spring. One was a white Americauna pullet and one was a Gold Sex LInk. They were even from different hatch dates. I am just wondering what causes this in the first place. I've bought from Ideal for years and have NEVER had this before. I put my two chicks IN the deep feeder and they learned to scoop the feed. The older they get, the more crossed the beak becomes. However, they seem to be fine and actually more friendly toward people than the other chicks.

Anyone know what causes this to happen?

Okay - according to post this is from in-breeding? Does everyone concur with this or could it be another cause? Just curious.
hmm.png

Last edited:
Ok, where were you guys 2 weeks ago,when I posted with a cross beak? Glad this came up again, I am going to try the Penetran. My EE came from Mcmurry's they have credited me for the birds I did not receive and the cross beak. She is very badly crossed so I hope this helps a little,I filed her beak down but it really didn't look any better. She is growing well and seem to eat and drink well. Good luck with your little one. I also read it was a genetic defect,most likely in breeding. I have two other EE that look exactly like my cross beak, I'm hoping they don't have the same gene . Mine came Feb 28 All lived and are growing well.

Last edited:
Very interesting that Mcmurry has't had any reports about the cross beak, as I called , and told them I had a cross beak from them and it was a genetic defect and they might want to look into this problem. perhaps the people who answer phones do not relay problems to any one?We could have them read this post!

Last edited:
here is Flyod:
51397_jaimee_floyd_and_the_hens_047.jpg

He hatched fine and then slowly his beak/face has turned. Now here is my situation. I had 13 straight run silver laced wyandottes....one died...8 cockerals and 4 pullets...I sold two cockkerals for $10...not back when I bought all 13 for $20...so now I have 10....4 pullets and 6 cockerals....I have a guy who wants to trade me two hens (black sex-link) for four cockerals? Overall that would leave me with 20 chickens 18 hens and 2 roosters... now for my questions....my wife and kids have become attached to Floyd....do I keep him or trade him? Will he pass on the cross beak? My heart says keep him and my brain says let him go?

Just noticed today that one of our week old EE chicks has a beak that has started crossing. I had not noticed it before today, but based on what I've read if it's crossed at 1 week it's gonna get bad. I saw some posts on Penetran. Did it work? Is there anything else I can do to uncross it?

Thanks,

Rachel

Would any of the previous posters be willing to update this thread?
Have your birds survived?
Did anyone have a success story for actually repairing this deformity:
Penetran
Cell Salts
Bio Plasma
Trimming

Please share your advice for those of us with a new generation of crossbeak chicks
sad.png

Our 2 year hen Bessie has a pretty crossed beak, but seems to eat and drink well. She does take longer to eat and drink than the other birds, and is often pecked by them, but she's managed to survive so far.

For people with crossed beaked birds, watch out for cannibalism with your flock, because the ones with the disabilities will most likely be the first ones pecked at after the smallest birds.

Back
Top Bottom