Chick with cross beak *pics*

Thanks for the info. on where they came from.

Just FYI - I found a REALLY good page that cites studies on crossed beaks. It isn't a simple answer of how they occur - and apparently non-crossed beaked parents can possibly carry the gene which is I believe recessive and pass it along to their offspring. It seems like starting with crossed beaked parents however produces greater numbers of crossed beaked offspring - but like I said, non-crossed beaked parents can still carry it in their genes.

EDIT: (I should add that the article says not all causes are genetic )

Anyway - I'm not a scientist but this makes good reading:

http://groups.msn.com/polishchickens/crookedbeak.msnw

Last edited:
Thanks red-hen...education is never a bad idea. I have been wondering whether to keep mine out of the breeding pool and just harvest the eggs.
-nj

How do you trim a beak? What do you use, a sharp knife? I have a 6 month old pullet who I think is going to start having problems if I don't trim her beak soon. I just have no idea where to start.

What I used was a pair of disinfected dog/cat nail trimmers. I also "hooded" the chick to minimize stress (covered her eyes and flipped her over) and also some blood clotting silver nitrate (for when the beak bleeds after trimming).
For my older pullet 8weeks she has a nearly totally opposing beak 90deg, I trimmed both her top and a little off of the bottom (just a tiny bit to help the top and bottom match up better). She is very active and 2 weeks later she eats her chick starter mash right up with little to no difficulty, and forages and pecks at scratch with the other chickies. She is not picked on and growth wise is just a tad behind the regular beaked chickens.

Just don't forget the quick stop/silver nitrate and to disinfect the trimmers.
If the top beak is just a little crossed, try to just trim a little and leave the bottom alone. I would not trim the bottom unless it was absolutely necessary for eating. The bottom beak is how they scoop water and food so it is the important part of the two beaks.
I also have a little 3 day old that I noticed a VERY slight mismatch and I went ahead a trimmed the top beak just a tad and her beak is meeting up well. I will keep trimming if needed as she grows, and I keep an eye on both of them to make sure they drink and eat mash well.
Good luck and keep in touch....
-nj

Should Penetran only be applied to the side the cross beak is pointing towards? Was thinking if Penetran relaxes muscles applying it to both sides might not work as well? The golden polish chick hasn't gotten any worse with BIoplasma but she hasn't improved any either.

I had the same problem with my chick...I had ordered some americaunas from MM, and noticed that one of them had a beak that was a bit crooked. It just got worse and worse the older she got. It's been two months now, we trim her beak to keep it from over lapping with the bottom. Planning on going out and buying some cell salts and hopefully that will help her. I'd hate to see her die.
sad.png

Also put a small dish in her small cage we have her in at the moment since she is too young to put with the older ones. Hopefully she'll learn to scoop her food and be able to eat that way.
Thanks for all the helpful advice and information here
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom