chick with crossed beak...need answers

This is my BIG, FAT, Egg Laying, Blue-Laced Red Wyondotte with a crossed beak. I was sure she was a boy but i always root for the under-dog and i kept her and hoped so bad that i was wrong. I buy layer crumble and DH put up the wire to attach the green crock. I put her scratch in the crock and i keep the feeder full of crumble so she can scoop out of the top. She is HUGE and i keep her in with the bantam flock so she does not have to be bullied by my big birds. I agree its a personal choice on keeping a crossbeak.....but i am sure there is a special place is heaven for those of us that love God's Mis-fits
big_smile.png

crossbeak010.jpg

Well it's getting more noticeable and she's already slightly smaller than the others. When I fill the feeder she acts like she's eating, but then all of a sudden she darts around the brooder. I don't know how to feed her by hand. I don't think I can cull her.
sad.png

There is always hope! Look up www.faiththedog.net, anything is possible
smile.png
Try to stimulate her, give her lots of extra attention. She is probably giving up to easily. Ours looooves our whole grain oatmeal with raisins and cranberries, I make it extra creamy for her and I add a little feed to it. I am sure she will be much more motivated if it is a tasty treat
smile.png

I forgot to add...If she doesn't try to eat it, dip her beak in it so she can have a taste. Just keep trying anything that will get her interested. Yes, it may not be a balanced diet but if she won't eat, anything's better than nothing. I will pray for her
smile.png

Braham-
have you tried wetting the food with water and adding some yogurt? YOu need to discover the consistency which works for your girl, might need to be more mushy or chunky. mixing feed with sticky oatmeal is another good one.

I've noticed from peoples pics that some chickens have the top beak crossed and some the bottom is crossed.
I think if the bottom is straight they might be able to scoop dry food? Mine, her bottom is grossly deformed and can't eat dry at all, so I wet it down and she does OK.

even if you are not able to give her super special attention, please try wetting your regular feed with water, won't cost you extra. But you might need to make a big bowl because some of the others might decide they like the "wet food" too!

good luck!

Back
Top Bottom