Chick with deformed leg *updated*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kasey08, May 24, 2011.

1. kasey08

kasey08 Aunt Kasey's Farm

Mar 29, 2010
    Scottsboro, AL
    This silkie is 3 days old. I had a broody go bad and I had to take all of her eggs. This one I had to help out due to it getting shrink wrapped. I thought it would fix itself but it is getting worse. he moves around on his belly with his legs out and just flapping around. I feel so bad for him.
    It all started with getting 27 eggs just days before the tornado in Alabama. Power being out of 4 days. All died but these 3 miracle babies.
    What can I do for him?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Please help [​IMG]

Last edited: May 26, 2011
  2. DancingHen

DancingHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Central Oregon Coast
    I have not dealt with this issue myself, but try this link. Maybe it will help you.

http://www.poultryhelp.com/spraddle.html

Also, try doing a search here on BYC for spraddle leg. There are a lot of threads on it.

Good luck.

3. sugarjax06

sugarjax06 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2010
    Lancaster, CA
    Yes, use that link! It should be upright and figure out how to get about after about a day. And then a week or so later, it will probably not need a band-aid anymore [​IMG]

4. greenegglover

greenegglover Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Poor chicky. I had one that had one leg like that. You must do this as soon as possible or it will not form right. I had to leave mine bandaided up for 5 days till it could walk right without the bandaide. Good Luck!

5. kasey08

Mar 29, 2010
    Scottsboro, AL
    I just done it with tape, he keeps flipping over on his side trying to get away. Do I have to keep sitting him up? Or will he be okay?

6. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    The link in my signature has some good info (with pics) that may help. Good luck. [​IMG]

7. kasey08

Mar 29, 2010
    Scottsboro, AL
    He keeps falling over on his side. So I took it off of him and it seemed to have helped a little he kinda hobbles around now.

8. sugarjax06

sugarjax06 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2010
    Lancaster, CA
    You may have had the band-aid or tape too close together? I would watch the baby closely and if it is not able to stand up right today then tape it back up. In my experience, I have seen an improvement after 1-2 days but left the tape there just to build more strength.

9. kasey08

Mar 29, 2010
    Scottsboro, AL
    I re did his leg and he still falls over. Maybe he is just to weak to stand? Maybe it is different for silkie b/c of the 5th toes? What should I do?

10. kelar

kelar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    yacolt
    First of all, make sure the babies are not on a slippery surface! Take this one and put it in a small box with a small towel or washclothe formed into a donut shape with chick in the middle. This will support and prop up the chick and allow it to get some strength in its legs. It may take a few days and in the meantime you will probably have to hand feed and water. Most babies will get stronger and be able to walk in short order, but you can't let it stay in that splayed position. Take it out several times each day when you care for it and let it try its legs - sometimes it takes a few days, but I'm betting it will recover.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by