Chick with Deformed Neck: Can Chickens Be Mentally-Disabled?

What are you feeding your chicks? Are they getting a balanced chick starter or all flock feed as most of their diet? Is the feed as fresh as possible?
Yes, absolutely as fresh as possible. They are Purina Start and Grow medicated. I slowly switch them to non-medicated once they are feathered and have been outside. I haven't introduced any "treats" or other food yet as they are only a couple weeks old and haven't found any grit in my local feed stores ANYWHERE. But wanted them to get accustomed to their food first. So at this point, just feed and water with a little organic vinegar added. Anything else you'd suggest? This is my first year raising chicks. Thanks!

I would also recommend treating for wry neck, it won't hurt to try, and hopefully it will help. It's also possible that if the chick has been this way since hatch it could be a deformity, possibly from being malpositioned in the egg.
This is my plan. I will get the necessary items tomorrow. I just wanted to check on here as this is my go-to to make sure I got the proper essentials. Thank you!

So, I just got a new flock (Flock Marie vs. my first flock named Flock Ann because all their middle names are Ann 😂). And one day I was looking in on them and noticed one seemed to have it's neck turned.

And she never turned it properly. I even noticed her walk into a wall. I have picked her up felt it and it seems her bones are just made to go that way. She seems to be feathering as normal. She eats and drinks, runs and plays, sleeps with the rest of thr flock normally. But she seems a bit delayed in how she acts as well as having this deformed neck and an "off" demeanor. Anyone else see this or know what it is? Doesn't appear to be wry neck to me but I'm new to this all and thought I'd ask you all! I couldn't find anything on it elsewhere or on here. Thanks!
One of our former hens was severely henpecked. (They pecked through the skin and into her brain.) After she healed and things got back to normal, she never really saw "life" the same way again. She kept walking into walls and pecking and scratching in concrete. I think she may have had some neurological problems. 😯
Best of wishes to you and your little baby!☺️

Back
Top Bottom