Chick with Difficulty Hatching...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by anniebananie, Jan 22, 2012.

1. anniebananie

anniebananie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2009
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Okay, so, here's the scoop.

I set 7 eggs into lockdown Wednesday 1/18/12, late yesterday/early today was hatch day. Two eggs pipped Saturday, I went to sleep, woke up at 2 AM to the sound of the first egg hatching. This chick was not either one of the original pippers. Then, by the morning, there was another chick, one of the first two to pip. By then, the other one of the first eggs to pip had begun zipping open her shell. So I come home today, and my one expensive, purebred egg has hatched (a cochin, she's perfect and beautiful), but NOT the first egg to hatch. Looked like she had zipped her shell open, and then stopped, though she was still struggling and pushing and things. She had a little weird green goop caked around the edges of her membrane. Well, after her being stuck for almost 24 hours crying and struggling and ALMOST out, I decided to give it a look. Sure enough, her membrane was stuck to her down by some sort of dried goop. No way she would have gotten out of that on her own. Anyways, I know what a shrink-wrapped chick is, and this wasn't the classic one of those... The other three pipped, zipped, and flopped free all by themselves, effortlessly.

Anyways, I decided to soak her feathers a little with some warm water and freed the membrane after a lot of painstaking procedures. When the bottom of her egg finally came free, there was a big chunk of weird green crumbly goop. What the heck is that stuff??!

I know I probably should have waited longer, but she was totally stuck and crying... I know she might not make it because of this, but can anyone tell me what that gunk was? I'm leaving her up to God's hands, or fate, or whatever you may believe in.

Thanks

2. Emptywagon2

Emptywagon2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2011
    North East Texas
    I'm not sure but could it be poo? My chicks ( hatched today) have all had a dark greenish poo since hatching. Just a thought..

3. The Chickeneer

The Chickeneer ~A Morning's Crow~

Well, all chicks that hatch have the green goop, some more than others lol, but anyways, I guess you could kinda think about it as embryo poop. I have no idea why it's green, but it is, and it's ok, nothing to worry about. Good luck with your chicks! [​IMG]

4. anniebananie

anniebananie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2009
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Thanks everybody! It's odd she had so much but... Oh well! She appears to be doing fine now, standing up and walking around like she's been doing it forever. Four healthy chicks... Three to go... Fingers crossed!

5. cadencekeona

cadencekeona Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2011
    It sure sound like chikky poo. I had to pick the poo off my last baby with fingers and lots of warm water. It was so matted i was worried about it backing up into the vent. Good luck![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by