Chick with head tucked into chest

she's not drinking today
sad.png
I did give her the vit, etc. Seems to havee some labored breathing
sad.png
But she is still "talking" She does seem to have 'air' in her crop. Should I massage it or leave it? I massaged it and it was almost like she burped.

Last edited:
no dont massage it (that is for if there is an impaction in the crop) >you might try the molasses flush I posted

i am having similar problem....VERY lethargic 8 week banty. white stool. can't stand. won't open eyes, eat or drink. will take small amount of sugar water in eyedropper. she is separated from the other 5 chicks who seem fine. any ideas?

She's sometimes 'gasping' for breath and seems to do better when I hold her and hold her head up instead of on her chest or between her legs. Her crop also seems to be soo 'puffy' and full of air. She hasn't eaten anything today. Just drank water and tiny bit of yogurt. How much sugar can I mix with her water?
I like it better when things to RIGHT! I have 26 others that seem to be doing fine.
smile.png
I don't want to loose this ole girl.
Valerie

do not give sugar water...this sounds like sour crop (in addition to any other problems) and sugar will simply exaxcerbate the problem. If you are not going to do the molasses flush , then add aCV to the waterer. For sourcrop or yeast problems you will need nystatin which you can get from a vet.

I do plan on doing the molasses flush this morning. I didn't have molasses. Is she getting any nutrition from the chicken feed soaked in the water...just drinking the water? I call and get nystatin today also.
thanks soo much for your help
valerie

She is doing better today
smile.png
She did drink the Molasses and is more 'upright' most of the time. Although she seems to have 'seizure' like behavior at times. and goes into the beak to breast or to the ground and rolls over. She also ate yogert today : She did peck her chicken feed today. Is there hope that she'll continue to get better or do you think this is the best she'll get? Hopefully tomorow I will get Avia in the mail.
Thanks for your help
Valerie

That all sound s great...here below I am giving the link to my collected article on crop issues and you will find the info on nystatin in there....
One thing I would like to add is that if you can get to a petstore to get prrot baby handfeeding formula (it is a powder you add water to) and mix that with the feed instead of water ...that will concentrate the nutrition which will help as a basic support measure to ensure no nutritional deficiency to complicate matters further.
This type of thing can take a few weeks so you will need to be patient. Glad it is showing some signs of improvement...that is always a good sign!
http://dlhunicorn.conforums.com/index.cgi?board=emergencies&action=display&num=1161893898

Back
Top Bottom