Chick With Heavy Breathing

crazy2catz

Chirping
6 Years
Oct 27, 2013
I bought 4 new chicks from a reputable breeder, received them 4 days ago. The Barred Plymouth Rock (which was supposed to be a Dominique) was a week or 2 older than the others (they were one week old). They've been vaccinated for Merck. The Barred Rock has had rapid breathing the whole time and I notice the vent is part of it too. The chick has been eating, drinking, active and don't believe it's too hot since it's beak isn't open. Any ideas? I've just given them all electrolytes in their water. How do I help this little girl?

we are diligent about keeping it within the recommended temperature and she's the only one of the 4 with the issue and it continues to be an issues. The place where we bought the chicks said to give it Corid.

What's the temperature? Generally heavy breathing is from too much heat or a respiratory problem. Corid is for treating for cocidiosis.

It's not the temperature, we regulate it for the age of the chicks so 85-90. The other chicks are breathing normally.

If it's respiratory, what do I do? It's been an issue since we got her but none of the others.

Do you see any discharge from mouth or eyes?

Is there a cooler area in the brooder so chicks can get away from the heat if necessary. Not every chick deals with temperatures the same so they need to be able to move in and out of the hot zone.

Is there good ventilation?

I would wait and watch to see how it does. If it worsens you may want to find a vet to get something to treat it with.

There's no discharge, eyes are clear. There are different zones in the brooder and good ventilation as well. It's been the same for 1 1/2 weeks since we got her while the others continue to be fine.

There's no discharge, eyes are clear. There are different zones in the brooder and good ventilation as well. It's been the same for 1 1/2 weeks since we got her while the others continue to be fine.
I know this is a year old post, but I'm curious what you learned about your barred rock that was breathing heavy. I keeps finding posts online about barred rock chicks breathing heavy but I haven't yet found a solid solution. Mine is doing the same thing and I use a Brinsea Ecoglow so I know it's not a heat issue.

Back
Top Bottom