Chick with hernia?

BeginnerCoopMom

In the Brooder
Jan 17, 2022
About an hour ago my neighbor came to me with a newly hatched chick and an unhatched egg. Apparently their broody mama hatched a few chicks, but this chick they had to help hatch. They also didn't know if the egg was still alive and didn't have the incubator or tools to hatch it if it is, so I've been scrambling to see what I can do.

The chick and egg were both very cold, so the first priority were warming them up. I got the incubator running and heat lamp on. Got the chick under some heat and checked the egg via the warm water test and saw movement, so it's in the incubator now.

Now I've been warming up the chick and it's been through a lot. It looks to have a small hernia from the umbilical cord, but I'm not sure. I used a little witch hazel on the area and have been letting it rest. Every now and again it peeps at me, but has been sleeping while it warms up.

Is there anything else I can do for it? When y'all look at it, does it look like I can save it? I can send more pictures if needed.

Attachments

• 20220514_114249.jpg
    20220514_114249.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 66
  • 20220514_114309.jpg
    20220514_114309.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 39
About an hour ago my neighbor came to me with a newly hatched chick and an unhatched egg. Apparently their broody mama hatched a few chicks, but this chick they had to help hatch. They also didn't know if the egg was still alive and didn't have the incubator or tools to hatch it if it is, so I've been scrambling to see what I can do.

The chick and egg were both very cold, so the first priority were warming them up. I got the incubator running and heat lamp on. Got the chick under some heat and checked the egg via the warm water test and saw movement, so it's in the incubator now.

Now I've been warming up the chick and it's been through a lot. It looks to have a small hernia from the umbilical cord, but I'm not sure. I used a little witch hazel on the area and have been letting it rest. Every now and again it peeps at me, but has been sleeping while it warms up.

Is there anything else I can do for it? When y'all look at it, does it look like I can save it? I can send more pictures if needed.
Looks like a fleshy belly button to me. Nothing to worry about.

If you have electrolytes to offer, I'd give it some in water to perk it up.

Looks like a fleshy belly button to me. Nothing to worry about.

If you have electrolytes to offer, I'd give it some in water to perk it up.
I tried the electrolytes, but it passed away. There must have been a reason why it wasn't able to hatch without help.

The egg externally pipped, so maybe there's a chance with that one.

Thanks for the help!

I tried the electrolytes, but it passed away. There must have been a reason why it wasn't able to hatch without help.

The egg externally pipped, so maybe there's a chance with that one.

Thanks for the help!
Could've just of been to weak to live. It happens sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom