Chick with injured/deformed leg

crazycoop12

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 6, 2012
This chick is 1 1/2 weeks old. I am not sure what is wrong with his leg and if there is anything I can do to help. He eats and drinks and is growing fine. He hobbles around. He actually puts pressure on the elbo when he walks so it has started to calus. It looks like it is shaped like an L and instead of walking on the foot he walks on the elbo and the foot is elevated into the air. I just would like some input on what I could do or not do to help him. I haven't put him in the brooder with the older chicks because I don't want him to get trampled on. He is in with 4 other chicks that were born with him and he gets along fine. Any help/advice would be appreciated.

We have a chick with this same issue, she hops around and is about 4 weeks old. She seems to do fine except she doesn't really put any weight on her hurt leg. I thought it was a broken hip the way the leg jets out to the side, but today I noticed the thick 'callus' at the knee joint and wondered if that was where the problem actually was coming from. In any event so far there haven't been any ramifications from the issue. It doesn't seem that it will recover from the injury, just learn to compensate. I'd be curious to know if others have seen this and know what it is.

These are pictures of my chick with a similar sounding issue - notice the bump on the joint to the right (left leg). She is about 4 weeks old.

Her leg sticks out to the side all the time.

Back
Top Bottom