Chick with large crop

How's your little one?
Hi ,
Her crop has gone down & now after she scarfs feed down it doesn't seem to fill as large. So in the matter she is ok.
Her eye problem is iffy. When i picked her up the left eye was swollen shut. I cleaned it & found what i believe is a peck hole (cut) on top lid. I applied terrymicin ointment & eye is open but swollen. Her vision is mostly gone in the left eye. at least for now. I'm going to do a warm compress & see if that draws anything out. I'LL try to uploada picture of eye this morning. My problem child LOL

I have a young hen who is suffering from an impacted crop. I've isolated her and massaged her crop till it's empty on several mornings. I took her off straw bedding and put her on news paper to no avail. Now she is very thin and I'm afraid well loose her. Is there any thing I can do to boost her energy ? I have her on layer pellets, grit and vitamin mineral water. Also is it normal for this to happen over and over like this ? I'm wondering if there's something lodged in her crop I cant feel

I have a young hen who is suffering from an impacted crop. I've isolated her and massaged her crop till it's empty on several mornings. I took her off straw bedding and put her on news paper to no avail. Now she is very thin and I'm afraid well loose her. Is there any thing I can do to boost her energy ? I have her on layer pellets, grit and vitamin mineral water. Also is it normal for this to happen over and over like this ? I'm wondering if there's something lodged in her crop I cant feel
Coccidiosis can cause crop problems.
How old is your bird?
What does her poop look like?

These are pics of the original chick from my post.
15524068563633668746672880629124.jpg
15524068135247116473837227971673.jpg
15524068563633668746672880629124.jpg
15524068135247116473837227971673.jpg 15524068563633668746672880629124.jpg She can open it, but of course not for a picture. The peck wound is on the top lid. Can't see in photos. Yes I've been cleaning eye & applying terramycin 2 times a day.

Last edited:
Terramycin helps with certain bacteria, but it weak in treating E.coli and others, so if it doesn’t get better in a day or two, you might consult a vet or use some plain Neosporin ointment. Vets can prescribe cipro eye drops or others that treat practically every bacteria. Good luck.

My 8 week old chicken is having this same issue. Large squishy crop. I don’t feel an obstruction and her breath does not smell but her crop will not go down. This is day 3 and she has not eat since yesterday. She is still pooping. However last night and this morning she was acting a little less like herself. I think I may have to try and get her to throw up if her crop is still large when I get home. Any advice?

It would be best to start your own new thread so we don’t get birds confused. Click here to start a new theead:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures.10/create-thread

Back
Top Bottom