Chick with one bulging eye that seems to be getting bigger?

Anderbun

In the Brooder
Apr 20, 2022
We have a hen we hatched out about 2 months ago. Three days ago I noticed her one eye looked weird. Every day since it looks like it has gotten bigger. I cleaned it out and applied eye gel. It seems sensitive to light but she does not appear to be in pain. Everything else is normal and all other hens in the coop are normal

Does anyone have ANY idea? I haven't been able to find any answers of similar situations

Attachments

• PXL_20220420_220654724.jpg
    PXL_20220420_220654724.jpg
    287.2 KB · Views: 14
  • PXL_20220420_220408232.jpg
    PXL_20220420_220408232.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 7
Was she pecked or injured in her eye? Can you see a vet? I would guess that her eye is blind. It probably is a good idea to keep the eye moist with eye drops or ointment.
I am talking with my vet, she cannot be seen though.

I did not witness an injury but I think it is highly possible.

I tested, the eye is blind.

We have one like this too, she's def blind in the eye... have you figured out how to get the swelling down at all?

We have one like this too, she's def blind in the eye... have you figured out how to get the swelling down at all?
So the swelling went down eventually on its own. We kept it clean and overtime it returned to normal size although the eye is still blind.

I wanted to provide an update on this post, the vet determined it was secondary glaucoma due to traumatic injury. We believe the cat must have scratched her eye, it swelled due to injury and she went blind in that eye. She is perfectly normal now other than that the eye is unfortunately blind.

She had no infection and the bulging did not appear to cause her pain

Back
Top Bottom