Chick with Pink Lump Under Corner of Beak

CrinkleConclave

Hatching
May 7, 2024
We picked up 6 pullets (3 barred rock, 3 brown leghorn) from Tractor Supply 3.5 weeks ago. They've been living in our kitchen, first in astorage bin, and now in a kiddie pool with pine shavings on the bottom, and they've only eaten crumbles with a bit of chick grit offered.

This morning we noticed a swollen pink lump under the right corner of this leghorn's beak. The lump seems to be soft, and I haven't had enough hands yet to get a good peek inside her mouth. As far as I can tell, she's eating and drinking, but she does seem to be growing a bit more slowly than the rest of the flock. None of the others appear to have similar spots.

The only posts that have popped up in my searches indicate fowl pox, canker, or abscess. The first two don't seem incredibly likely since the chicks haven't been outside, but we're brand new to this so what do I know. Does anyone have any ideas?

lumpy_leghorn_001.jpeg

lumpy_leghorn_002.jpeg

Welcome To BYC

I'd get a look inside the beak.

Could be a small injury from getting pecked. Are they around any wire fencing where she's gotten a poke?

There's a small area on the wattle, can you tell if it's a scab, ingrown feather...?
Hard to tell. Try getting someone to hold her so you can get a closer look. Chicks are SO squirmy. Swaddling in a thin towel (hand/dish towel) to help capture the wings can also be helpful in keeping them under better control.

1715143641398.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom