Chick with prolapsed vent?

Minidinos

In the Brooder
Mar 23, 2020
I have a chick that hatched a couple of days ago and while I was cleaning off some poop that was in it's fur/feathers, I noticed a small red bump. The bump and the chick itself is so small my camera won't focus on it. I started looking up what it could be and looked through threads, and I'm worried it might be a prolapsed vent.

Kyra hasn't had any problems pooping or doing anything else her fellow flockmates have been doing, and is otherwise growing and acting just fine.

It's my first time raising chicks so I'm not sure what to do.

Attachments

• 20200323_234412.jpg
    20200323_234412.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 11
Locate the tail. Just below the tail is the vent, about a quarter inch diameter where the chick poops. Just below that is the umbilicus. Sometimes it gets confused with the vent when it's still healing or if it is infected.

If this is what you are seeing, it will be about the size of a pimple. Put some Neosporin ointment on it. (Without pain reliever)

I can't make out the photo, by the way. Extreme closeups without context are sometimes as perplexing as an abstract painting at the Gugenheim.

It was right below the chicks tail, but today it wasn't as noticeable as it was earlier. I'm assuming it's getting better on its own, but if it gets worse or is sticking out again, I'll make sure to get a family member's help to take a better photo of it

Back
Top Bottom