Chick with red butt

SneelyD

Hatching
May 30, 2017
View attachment 1025164 i have a chick that just hatched a couple of hours ago. It hatched on its own and is chirping and alert. It has a red butt though. How do I know if it is the umbilical cord or what and what do I do. I am very new to this. This is only my second time to hatch. Thanks!

Hard to tell from those pics, but the navel is going to be different from the anus. The navel will be located further down on the abdomen. The anus will be...well, the anus. Below the tail, a butthole, if you will.

If it's the navel, you can betadine dab + bacitracin it. If it's the vent, we might have a prolapsed vent issue.

Thank you. I was not home when it hatched and my son just told me it was still slightly connected to the shell so I am hoping it is navel.

How long should I keep it in the incubator? Do you think it is ok to put under light to treat?

Looks pretty fluffed, so should be fine. How well does it get around? Make sure its siblings don't peck at it.

Also can you find the butt? If you can find the butt, then you know that's not the butt and is the navel.

It gets around fine. Chirps a lot and seems good otherwise. Siblings are already under the light. I will watch a while to make sure they don't bother her.

Back
Top Bottom