Chick with remains of umbilical cord still showing

I have the same issue and she seems to be the runt. I thought it was caked on poop and couldn’t poop so I tried removing with warm water. When that didn’t do much I put some olive oil on it and still nothing. Then it dawned on me that their bum is not that low and finally figured out it was her navel so I brought her pack to mama. She wasn’t moving much but when mama gave her s tap she/he started chirping and huddled underneath. I hope this isn’t a danger to it and makes it worse if wet with oil. I feel terrible and just hope it doesn’t get worse. It was all dried up and it looked like caked on poop. All I need now is reassurance that it’ll be fine or should I try to get the oil off. Whew!

1BE62D56-6C3C-4E66-A083-62079B8A961D.jpeg
I have the same issue and she seems to be the runt. I thought it was caked on poop and couldn’t poop so I tried removing with warm water. When that didn’t do much I put some olive oil on it and still nothing. Then it dawned on me that their bum is not that low and finally figured out it was her navel so I brought her pack to mama. She wasn’t moving much but when mama gave her s tap she/he started chirping and huddled underneath. I hope this isn’t a danger to it and makes it worse if wet with oil. I feel terrible and just hope it doesn’t get worse. It was all dried up and it looked like caked on poop. All I need now is reassurance that it’ll be fine or should I try to get the oil off. Whew!

It’s the gray one. One black, light brown and the yellow have feathered feet. The gray and and the 2 others don’t. Any idea what they are? There were a mix of chickens where I got the eggs from. Silkies, Isa Browns, Bantams and one weird looking rooster. All colours and looked like it had a mullet. lol

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom