Chick with scissor beak

The Golden Egg5

Chicken OBSESSED
5 Years
Nov 5, 2016
Boone, North Carolina
So, I bought some marans and Welsummer eggs online, and they went through a very rough shippment. Most of them didn’t make it, however one did. Its a maran. Today is day 21, and the chick internally pipped about 24 hours ago. I was very worried about it, so I opened the blunt end of the egg a little so I could see what was going on, and this baby has bad scissor beak. Does anyone have any suggestions or insight about this? I don’t know if I should intervene anymore or if I should let nature take its course. I’ve never dealt with scissor beak before, but I’ve read about it a little bit.
Also, the membrane appears to have bled when the chick punctured it, but It’s still moving around and chirping.
6E8A0FD5-7BFC-4F1C-9A86-A46E78E0EA0F.jpeg

So, the little chick hatched (with a little help). He seems to be strong, but he might be missing an eye in addition to the scissor beak. He also has quite a bit of albumen on him. I’m currently waiting for him to dry off a bit to take a closer look at him. Hopefully he will be able to eat and drink if he can make it.
ABB8A313-4B0B-48E1-9023-FA3057A1594A.jpeg

In addition to this little guy missing an eye, and having a crooked beak, his legs are abnormally small. They are very thin and seemingly underdeveloped. His little toes are curled, and he can’t stand properly. I’ll keep an eye on him to see if he can manage, but things aren’t looking good for him. He’s happily chirping away and flopping around in the incubator. Another thing, he hatched this morning, but he is still completely wet. I tried rubbing some moistened warm q-tips on him a few minutes ago, so maybe that will help get some of the gunk off of him. He feels wet still, but a bit more sticky than normal.

most chickens can live with skizzor beak.... but with so many things wrong, i dont know.... my guess is it will be lucky to survive.... hope it proves me wrong!
I definitely agree. I really want this guy to thrive, but it’s not looking like it’s going to end up as a happy story. He’s still not able to stand on his own. It’s very sad, but it’s just part of incubating chicks, I guess.

Have you ever hatched anything from this pairing before? This sou d's like something was kind of off
I am thinking that this might be a side effect of the rough shipping. The eggs looked like they were dropped multiple times during shipping, and they went through nearly freezing temperatures. Most of the eggs were broken on arrival and they all had saddled air cells. I got these eggs from an experienced and trustworthy farm in MD, so I don’t think genetics are to blame. I do have more eggs that this farm sent me as replacements, so hopefully that hatch will go a little better than this one. So far, it looks like 9/13 are developing and looking good.

Last edited:
I just put the baby chick down. This was definitely the hardest desision I’ve ever made. I wanted to believe that he would be ok, but deep down I knew I was prolonging his suffering. I looked him over this morning and he didn’t have a butthole and that’s when I decided to end his suffering. I’m going to bury him in the backyard.

I just put the baby chick down. This was definitely the hardest desision I’ve ever made. I wanted to believe that he would be ok, but deep down I knew I was prolonging his suffering. I looked him over this morning and he didn’t have a butthole and that’s when I decided to end his suffering. I’m going to bury him in the backyard.

I'm so sorry, but you did the right thing. :hugs

awwww.... sorry about the little baby. I hope your subsequent hatch was more successful.

Back
Top Bottom