Chick with some of the yoke on the outside, Help please

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ginbart, Feb 14, 2009.

1. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    A have a chick with the yoke on the outside. It looks like it is, I don't know how to explain it but. When you open an egg to eat it how the yoke has a skin on it. Well it looks like the skin is still there and only a little yoke. It seems the hole is closing but the chick is shaking and will not get off its back. Should I cull it or wait. I don't want it to suffer. Thanks for your help.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  2. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    if no yolk is seen then the chick have completely absorb it. The skin will dry by itself. Keep the chick warm and hope for the best.

3. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    wrap it in a moist paper towel to keep it from sticking to everything and keep it in the bator. fold underneath the chick and up the sides like a cradle so it can hardly move but it CAN breathe ....make sure you use warm water!!

4. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Quote:I could see the yoke, it was like it absorbed (sp) the yoke but left the outer part of it. I will wrap it up.

It seems like I am having a problem with only the EE's. I don't think I will put them in the bator anymore. Who knows how long they have been interbread before I got them.

Thanks for your help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by