Chick with swollen hock and a limp.

busychicks

Chirping
6 Years
Nov 16, 2013
Autauga County, Alabama
The 16th-18th we had some chicks hatch early in the incubator. Two came out with what we assumed were splay leg, though one only had trouble walking after being put on newspaper for a few minutes (lesson learned). So we braced their legs and prayed a lot. St. Patrick the Chick is, as far as I can tell, all better. The vat wrap brace came off earlier this week, and the chick's feet point the right way, legs stay under it. She's running around and flapping like a hooligan, jumping on everything.

I thought the Sunday chick was getting better. She's been walking around with both legs well under her and we took her brace off Tuesday and have been watching closely for any signs she needs it back. So far so good, it seemed. The chicks, whenever I open the brooder to do anything or handle them, fly/jump up onto my arms and perch there, run up and down, poop on me, ect. Tonight Sunday jumped up on me, but I had my sleeve rolled up and her bad leg slipped way out to the side as she tried to perch on my arm, and when she jumped down, she took a few really awful hobbling steps like her leg wouldn't bend right, but was only limping a little after a few steps. The hock on that leg looks a little larger than the other hock, but didn't seem painful when I touched it or when I moved the leg around. I thought her achilles tendon might have slipped, and I'm pretty sure I felt the tendon moving around and felt it pop back into place. I stretched her leg back and that didn't bother her at all. She's still limping a little on that leg, but was walking around and I didn't feel the tendon out of place when I went back to check on her.

Is it a slipped achilles tendon? My biggest question is would she be able to walk on that? She stands perfectly well and was even stretching up to see what I was doing a few minutes after it happened. It's only the slight limp like the leg is stiff and she had trouble balancing on that leg to scratch her face (or maybe she was in the brace so long she's not sure how to stand on one leg, I don't know). Her feet point forward, her legs are in the correct position. She doesn't seem to be bothered by this now and ate and drank with everyone else before settling down for a nap.

A slipped tendon seems likely. Not long after it happened she couldn't stretch the leg out fully behind her when she tried to stretch, and then a few hours later she managed that without a problem. That leg is obviously a little weaker than the other, which seems like it would make sense for a slipped tendon? I feel pretty sure the tendon is in the correct place now, as she can walk well and stretch the leg out behind her with no problems. She flew up onto the edge of the brooder before I could stop her and perched with the leg only a little displaced this morning, so I'm hoping the leg is getting stronger. I may put the hobble back on to make sure she doesn't have an accident while it's healing/strengthening. These babies are insanely active and nothing that looks remotely like a perch is safe.

I was reminded this morning that the chick's mother, when we first got her, had a limp that took forever to heal (it lasted so long we named her Pegleg) and stayed on the roosting bars we'd put up in the run. Maybe this is a genetic thing. Hmmm.

Thanks for the links!

Back
Top Bottom