Chick with the runs

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LauLau_Mama, Jun 9, 2009.

1. LauLau_Mama

LauLau_Mama In the Brooder

Apr 29, 2009
    Collin County, TX
    One of my 6 chicks has the trots. What should I do? Do I need to keep it apart from the others? vitamens? Please , help!
    New Chick Mama

2. Judy

Judy Crowing

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. Hypnotist_Collectr

Hypnotist_Collectr In the Brooder

Jun 9, 2009
    NorCal, CA
    I'm new at this, too, so i may be wrong... but what worked for my little guys was taking a tsp of yogurt, and mixing it in with the feed in a bowl, until it was crumbly like strudel topping, and fed it to them in my hand. They LOVED it and pecked a little too hard... but, they stopped having the trots, and think that everytime I put my hand in the brooder it is yogurt time. [​IMG]
    I find that sometimes, mine get a little runny when we handle them too much... we have one, in particular, that is really nervous, and it seems to give her the poopies every time we hold her. [​IMG] She seems, otherwise, healthy.
    Oh, and depending on how old they are, make sure they don't paste up their butts... I have had to wash a few baby booties in my day and they do NOT like it. [​IMG]

4. LauLau_Mama

LauLau_Mama In the Brooder

Apr 29, 2009
    Collin County, TX
    Thank you DDawn, I feel like such a fussy mama! It turns out that the poo is 'ceacal' (sp?) Thank you sooo much! I saved that link to my favorites, I'm sure my hubby would find that very interesting!
    Thanks again [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: