Chick with upper beak longer than lower

Nov 5, 2018
Birmingham UK
I recently got some day old chicks and I noticed one of the silkies has a beak with the top part noticeably longer than the bottom. She is five days old and appears to have hatched this way. Is this normal and will it grow to be more even?
20190925_113043.jpg

20190925_110040.jpg

20190925_112607.jpg

I wouldn't file it at all. Chicks don't have very much extra keratin and any attempt to shorten it will cause pain and bleeding. It appears to be a slight malformation that may require filing at a later date, if the beak halves don't meet in a way that allows the bird to file it down themselves on rocks. As is, it should not cause the bird any issue.

I wouldn't file it at all. Chicks don't have very much extra keratin and any attempt to shorten it will cause pain and bleeding. It appears to be a slight malformation that may require filing at a later date, if the beak halves don't meet in a way that allows the bird to file it down themselves on rocks. As is, it should not cause the bird any issue.

I agree, I should have been more specific. At this point it’s fine, but if it gets worse with age, then I would recommend filing it.

Thanks for the replies! It always seems the top beak of chickens grows faster than the bottom part so I'm concerned it will get worse with age, but I will definitely trim it down when she or he is older. I have an indoor rooster whose beak I have to file down regularly so I'm OK with that.

Back
Top Bottom